RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Red channel disaster

Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 PM

I was wondering if there is any way of doing a gradient mask, then adjusting HSL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 PM

yes, I use a gradient mask, because the original red channel is damaged, so I copied part of the green channel on top layer to fake some details, but I don't need entire layer, so I use a gradient mask to show throught the good parts of the original photo, and set this layer to luminosity. after that do regular color correction work, I handle shirts, heads hair seperately. I don't know how to handle those stuffs on top left, seems a colouring job is a must in this case.

wondering how Floria do this part as well.

realaqu
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 11:32 AM

Hi,

sorry, sorry for getting back so late ....

Thank you everybody for your kind words ...

Yep!! .... as I've said lot of times there isn't much love lost between 'numbers' and I .... ... so, please, don't be mad at me if I don't react when somebody asks for numbers ... I simply don't know ....

I move the sliders until it 'looks' OK and I share the values that led me to the results ... but calculations or percentages .. are surrounded by a thick fog ....

No Hue/Saturation here ...for this picture I used two Color Balance Adjustment Layers ... one for the left part of the picture (the bad one) and one for the right part of it ... The most important factor in both ALs are the Layer masks which you can see in attachment 1

The 'values' of Color Balance1 are in attachment 2 and Color Balance2 in attachment 3 .....

After this I added a blank Layer set to Color to correct the parts that still had some cast 'leftover' and selectively used Levels and Selective Colors ALs to correct tone, contrast and adjust colours ....

P.S. deadants, ... I followed your link (thank you so much for your kindness!) and read Sandie's reply ... Have you someone named Flora on your site? ... because I never sent anything to her ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_W_RedCh.jpg (92.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg ColBal1.jpg (98.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg ColBa2.jpg (98.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi,
P.S. deadants, ... I followed your link (thank you so much for your kindness!) and read Sandie's reply ... Have you someone named Flora on your site? ... because I never sent anything to her ....
Hi Flora,
Well i'm scratching my head in confusion. I will send her a PM asking her what's going on. I hope she's not being conned by some fly by night merchant.

I have one more of thes darn red channel disastors which I came across yesterday. It was a slide my grandfather took back in in the early 60's of Nobbys beach in Newcastle. My sister was sorting the photos and we debated wether to trash it or not. But I thought it might be useful as a restoration exercise. Plus it's a record of Nobbys beach which although it still looks much the same today you just don't see cars like that anymore.

I will try your method and see how I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nobbys-Beach.jpg (75.1 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadants
Hi Flora,
Well i'm scratching my head in confusion. I will send her a PM asking her what's going on. I hope she's not being conned by some fly by night merchant.
Hi deadants,

That was/is actually my fear reading in her post:
Quote:
"Flora beat me to it and sent me a PM..."
...Please, tell her that whoever contacted her using my name is not me!! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadants
I have one more of thes darn red channel disastors which I came across yesterday. It was a slide my grandfather took back in in the early 60's of Nobbys beach in Newcastle. My sister was sorting the photos and we debated wether to trash it or not. But I thought it might be useful as a restoration exercise. Plus it's a record of Nobbys beach which although it still looks much the same today you just don't see cars like that anymore.

I will try your method and see how I go.
...I'll try it as well .... I did some work on very old slides for my husband ... boy, they aren't easy to fix!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 08:28 PM

Deadants
Apologies if I’ve butted in. But I thought if I post first then Flora might comment

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Nobbys-Beach copy.jpg (94.9 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Gee Ken, that was quick. Did you use Floras method or do you have your own secret method. I have been trying to duplicate Floras settings but I just can't seem to get it quit right. But I think I'm on te right trak. I just need more practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 PM

nice job, ken. almost makes me want to throw my attempt away.

but i wont

this was the strangest success i think i've ever gotten and would have never thought to do this this way. it was one of those sort of happy little accidents. and when i explain this, you'll see what i mean.

duplicate layer.
made mask on this layer based on luminosity.
edited a gradient fill with a similar blue to the background to go from left to right, dark to fading.
flood filled on masked layer 3 times.
used fast fix to balance colors a bit more
duplicated that layer 4 times (with the mask)
used fast fix on last layer for final correction
made a copy on the clipboard of all images combined and made a new image from it.
sharpen more on new image

it still needs adjusting to the original color, but it is sort of an interesting technique.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nobbysbeach-1-k-1.jpg (96.6 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 AM

Hi Ken, looks like you've done a paint job on this one. It's the way I'd have done it. A bit more care on the rails, and it would have been harder to spot, also a bit of the beach under the headland.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 03:00 AM

Hi Ken,
I reduced your version down in size an ran neat image to clean it up a bit when I noticed you have filled Newcastle harbour with sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nobbys002.jpg (44.9 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration