RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

her daughter died of cancer (Help me)

Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Realaqu
Yes I know I left the contrast low but I didn’t want to burn out her forehead. I didn’t do that unclipping thing.
I should have done a bit of painting on her hair but I tried to do it without any

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM

ken,

Quote:
Replacing a complete channel is a bit drastic and I’ve just had a play with the channel mixer and I can virtually repair the channel. That’s one for the memory Bank. Thanks.
you're welcome.

i'm a bit of a novice yet, so that tip prolly comes through me from flora and i've certainly heard more than once around here that there's always more than one way to do things in photoshop. so, whatever works!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 PM

Ken,

Quote:
One question.
I have posted my picture (which I am fairly happy with) but I had several goes at this. If I repair the picture in CMYK (replacing the damaged cyan channel with the Yellow) then her blouse comes out Pink But if I do it in RGB and repair the damaged Blue channel with Green then her blouse is Yellow. Why the bid difference? And how do you know what is correct?
Duv works in CMYK but got the blouse orange.
What I know about RGB/CMYK colour modes is that:

*Monitors work with RGB which has a wider Gamut and Gamma.

*Printers work with CMYK which is more 'limited' in Gamut and Gamma.

*RGB is Additive.

*CMYK is Subtractive.

From PS help file:

Use the CMYK mode when preparing an image to be printed using process colors. Converting an RGB image into CMYK creates a color separation. If you start with an RGB image, it’s best to edit first in RGB and then convert to CMYK at the end of your process. In RGB mode, you can use the Proof Setup commands to simulate the effects of a CMYK conversion without changing the actual image data. You can also use CMYK mode to work directly with CMYK images scanned or imported from high-end systems.

... and those might be the reasons for the big difference you get when tweaking Channels in these two colour modes ... But my knowledge in this field is very limited ....

I always check and often use these differences at the very beginning of a restoration... but then I always go back to RGB and do all my work there because, beside feeling more comfortable with it, RGB is the only mode where all filters and adjustments are available... so, my experience in working with CMYK is practically nil ....

For your restoration .. superb skin tone and colour ...
... otherwise, in my opinion, a bit too much red ... particularly in her hair... but there is some red in her eyes and teeth also .... from the original we know that her blouse is yellow .... I agree that the original had a strong cyan cast ... but once removed the cast in RGB, the blouse remained yellow ...

Change the colour of the blouse or any colour in the picture if you wish ... but I wouldn't accept and keep the 'wrong' colour simply because some 'tweaking' got me there... In my attachment the new position and the result I got after only removing the Cyan cast with the Curves' Set Grey Point. (since my previous description I changed the point's position).

As usual, my 'instructions' are simply descriptions of what I did ... and not of what should be done ... as Craig said " there's always more than one way to do things in photoshop. so, whatever works!" ... or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0003.jpg (90.8 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks

Thanks to all who lavished me with compliments. I've said it before but I am truly humbled by most of the the folks here. I play with Photoshop because it's addictive and I simply can't help myself; BUT I am a complete novice. Especially compared to some of the whizzes and major talents that float around this site. I thought for a little while several years ago of making this a profression, but I realized that I don't have the knowledge base to be of the quality that I would want to provide. So I will just continue to play.

One question for those that are great with hair...how did/do you make a mask for the hair in the lower left corner of the picture where the background isn't all that far off from the hair in tone. That was the one thing I was unhappy with in my finished version, but I didn't feel like I had time to figure it out.

Diane (the pixeltickler)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Movin' 24th July, *don't you just hate builders*

I have to say Duv your first rendition was lovely!!! And i was impressed Dave with the colourings of her face, nice work.

Great pictures everyone, i am sure the owner will be so proud!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 08:54 PM

Hi Elle!

Thanks for your comments. More often than not, when you have extreme color casts, restoring is a bit of a compromise. To me, the important area is the skin tone for portraits. If you can get a yellow shirt as well..good on ya! I'm impressed that you "saw" the skin tones. When you work by the numbers and it turns out visually as well, it's quite gratifying. By the way, have you been busy? Haven't seen quite as many posts from you recently!

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM

flora,

i'm not familiar with the term 'Gamut' as you used it here:
Quote:
*Monitors work with RGB which has a wider Gamut and Gamma.

*Printers work with CMYK which is more 'limited' in Gamut and Gamma.
could you explain this term as it's used here, please or direct me to somewhere that does?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 10:30 PM

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
To me, the important area is the skin tone for portraits. If you can get a yellow shirt as well..good on ya!
Dave
I agree Dave, but to me hair and eyes colours are just as important in portraits ... I don't care if the shirt is yellow or pink as long as I can get it as close as possible to what the original colour was or seems to have been ... and to me this is important as well ... That's the point I was trying to make insisting on the yellow blouse .... nothing more to it ....

Ken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
That was a great picture I was convinced there was a dog in that picture until Flora decided it was a plant. (I wasn’t an active member then)
... English is my third language so I might have understood or interpreted it wrongly ... but, as I see it right now, it hurts like hell ...

Craig,

from Photoshop's help file:

Quote:
A gamut is the range of colors that a color system can display or print.

A color that can be displayed in RGB may be out of gamut, and therefore unprintable, for your CMYK setting.
(this happens because RGB has a wider 'gamut' than CMYK)

Quote:
Photoshop automatically brings all colors into gamut when you convert an RGB image to CMYK. But you might want to identify the out-of-gamut colors in an image or correct them manually before converting to CMYK.
And another description:

Quote:
RGB Monitors and CMYK output files:
Both the Gamut and Gamma of a monitor exceed that of the printed page. That is to say that a monitor can display more colors and a broader range of tones than it is possible to print with ink on paper.

When a file is converted from RGB to CMYK these colors must be adjusted to be within the range of printable colors and the Black channel must be created.

These complex transformations must be done in a manner that precisely matches the profile of the output device. And once you have separated out the black and limited the gamut by converting to CMYK you cannot convert back to RGB without seriously degrading the color and quality of the image.
Hope this helps ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 PM

flora,

thank you

that actually helps possibly explain a problem i was having with my printer. normally, the printer prints almost anything in true color and near photo quality, but if the print has a LOT of blue, particularly a lot of hues of blue, the printer cant seem to handle it and the blues come out quite a bit darker with much poorer color separation and identification. this could be the reason why.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Here is my take on the picture

It is unfortunate when you loose a loved one at an early age. After I edited the picture irealized it was originally posted more than two years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrstomeydaughterbre.jpg (93.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration