Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

her daughter died of cancer (Help me)

Old 07-16-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Dave,

I agree Dave, but to me hair and eyes colours are just as important in portraits ... I don't care if the shirt is yellow or pink as long as I can get it as close as possible to what the original colour was or seems to have been ... and to me this is important as well ... That's the point I was trying to make insisting on the yellow blouse .... nothing more to it ....
Flora, I absolutely agree with you but in the absence of information..her eyes are hazel, green, blue or brown and her hair is brown, reddish brown, black, blue black, it becomes rather guesswork. However, with skintone, if you have 35% Cyan in the skin, I'm not sure that is plausible for a Caucasian, even though some might think that is natural. I think you might agree though that for portraiture, the logical events might be skin, then eyes, hair and then clothes, background, etc. Of course it all has to blend in and make sense as a whole. For example in my first posting the coloring of the hair on top probably needs adjusting. Anyhow, it was mentioned that the girl has hazel eyes. I have hazel eyes and haven't a clue what the color is. It's got grey, green, blue and rimmed with yellow. How the heck do you color that in?? You bring up good points as usual!

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Flora
Flora decided

This sentence was meant to be humorous. I.e. I thought there was something in the picture but I was wrong.
I thought about this and my wife tells me it could make someone sound overbearing or dictatorial if it was taken literally. If that’s the way you read it then I apologise.

Maybe deduced or determined would have been a better choice of words

Verb Decide to make a decision

Italian
Italiano (Italian)
decidere, giudicare
In Italian it seems to mean ‘to judge’ as well. But is does not mean this in English.

You speak three languages. I only speak 2, English and Rubbish

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 04:56 PM

I hope everyone can weigh in with an opinion on my 3rd and hopefully last effort. All I did was global curves adjustments and to be honest, I was using RGB, CMYK and LAB. What I was trying to achieve was reasonable skin tone and hazel eyes. I have hazel eyes myself and I "think" I got the color right but not sure. Is the skin tone reasonable? Any thoughts?

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-mrstomeydaughter1.jpg (89.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 06:18 PM

Hi Dave, I get a slight red tinge on my monitor. This is based on observation only, haven't opened it in PS and checked the numbers yet. Most visible in the whites of the girls eyes. Mind, its after Midnight here, so could be my weary bloodshot eyes.

OK, looked at the numbers, it's not my eyes.

On the girl's right eye (as we look at her) the white area to left of her iris gives (R235,G202,B201).

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 07-16-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Hi Gary. Thanks for responding. I actually get slightly higher red readings. What do you think more reasonable values should be? Also, I'm not sure that strictly global corrections can get you there. I think fine tuning of specific areas are necessary for this image. Hope you'll also opine on the iris and skin color.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by Duv; 07-16-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 03:15 AM

Hi Dave,

I'm like Flora, in that I generally just eyeball things.

Agree with you totally that you can't do a global colour change on this one.

My impressions are as follows.

Iris colour good, don't think that needs touching at all.

Skin, looks good, but I reserve judgement because Background and Hair seem too red, and distract eye.

I would suggest reducing red in Background and Hair, and I think this will balance things out, enabling a better judgement of skin, which I think is pretty near the mark.

Wish I had some numbers I could throw at you. (I'll have a try at this using your image if you don't mind.)

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 03:52 AM

Hi Dave, had a play with your image.

First put a series of eyedroppers in the following places.

Background to left of girls head about level with her hairline. (R221,G194,B192)
Hair in mid tone area to left of girls mouth.(R151,G80,B99)
White of girls eye. (forgot to note, and have removed now).

Applied Curves Adj Layer, and using Red Channel mostly, adjusted to give girls eye a neutral tone (all channels equal). Masked skin, but this looked too pink, so used 40% grey and painted on mask to partially reveal skin.

Hair looked wrong, so applied colour balance adj layer and increased yellow and red to get colour I wanted, reduced layer opacity to 73% as colour was too intense.

Final Colour Dropper Numbers

Background (R185,G194,B192)
Hair (R104,G80,B72)
Eyes (All numbers equal)

Oops sorry forgot, on the Curves Adj Mask, masked out irises to reveal your colour, but it was a bit too saturated for image after I'd adjusted, so used a mid grey (darker than 50%) to partially mask.

Bit of a quick job, so some of the masking is not as good as it should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-mrstomeydaughter1 aft.jpg (86.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Layers 2.jpg (19.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 07-17-2005 at 03:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 06:18 AM

Hi BobNSA

Welcome to RP!

I think you did a great job! Maybe a bit too much contrast ... (you lost most details ih her hair) and her eyes should be hazel ...

Ken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Flora decided

This sentence was meant to be humorous. I.e. I thought there was something in the picture but I was wrong.
I thought about this and my wife tells me it could make someone sound overbearing or dictatorial if it was taken literally. If that’s the way you read it then I apologise. ....

.....You speak three languages. I only speak 2, English and Rubbish

Ken.
Thank you for explaining that to me ... and thanks to your wife for her understanding .... She hit the nail on the head because that is the way I interpreted it ...

As for your 'second' language ... I can speak it too .... and use it quite regularly .... I shoud add it in the 'Spoken Languages' section in my curriculum!!!

Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Flora, I absolutely agree with you but in the absence of information..
Dave
That's why, for me, it is very important to try and restore all possible 'original' informations at the very beginning of a restoration ....

I downloaded all your versions and compared them (skin only) ... Your last one is, in my opinion, absolutely the best ... but, like Gary, I still see a bit too much red ...

I agree that skin tone and colour can be the 'make or break' of portraits ... but, in my opinion, if a 'perfect' skin (often achieved after a lot of efforts) is surrounded by distracting over/under saturated or very badly off-colour elements it loses its 'magic' impact ...

Gary and I work in a very similar way ... one difference is that he 'braves' the 'numbers' as well and I don't! ...

I couldn't agree more with him on the fact that "you can't do a global colour change on this one" and, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, it's very rare the case where you can fix a picture with a 'global' correction or adjustment ... be it for tone, contrast or colour ....

No matter if you use the numbers or if you simply 'eyeball' therefore simply 'move the sliders' like I do ... if you 'tweak' the reds to get a better skin colour, all the reds in the picture will be altered.

If the picture is unevenly faded, and as Ken pointed out "dyes must fade differently" ... this can lead to very bad results.... For this reason I use Layer masks for everything ... I.e. if by correcting the skin other colours have been nearly 'obliterated' ... keep the skin only and cover the rest with a mask .... Once you see the 'new' perfect skin in the otherwise untouched background ... you might realise that it isn't that perfect after all and still needs tweaking ....

I've been asked very often how I get to my results ... I think that it's just my stubborness in trying everything I know on the details while trying to never lose the 'overall' view ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 08:08 AM

Gary..Flora. Thanks a bunch for your input! I think I'm closer to a result that I can live with and will factor in your suggestions as I move from global to specific. Good point too Flora about how the skin tone might need tweaking after balancing the other details like the hair and background. Gary, nice result although I was a teenie bit surprised with equal values for the whites of the eyes as I always thought there should be higher red value due to the underlying effect of blood vessels but not sure how valid that is. Anyhow, I'm now in my tweaking mode. Thanks again for taking the time and helping!

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 11:09 AM

This is a great picture. Beautiful girl. Great pose, High res. And difficult. I just can’t leave it alone.
It would make a great picture to go into the challenges section.

Like everyone has found it can’t be done in one step.
Also there is no real black point or grey point. The only real guide to colour is the whites of her eyes.

Even working from the edges does not help as they are faded but just not as much.

Here is my second attempt using a more conventional method

Eyedropper on faded blue and non faded edge blue
Used curves and mask to match main picture to edges.
Select all > Copy merged > Paste.

Eyedropper on white border (this should be white)
Used curves to make white

The eyes are still not white (but not too far off) so some selective adjustments will be required.
Eyedropper on white of eye (this should be white)
Used curves to make white
Decided at this point to use the pupil for my black point and set that as well

Used curves for skintone with layer mask to affect skin only

hue/sat and boosted master saturation

The hair still looked wrong so I opened my swatches and sampled a similar colour
Used curves and layer mask to correct

Touch up Marks etc

Well at least her blouse is yellow this time but I prefer the skin tone on my first post.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_mrstomeydaughter2.jpg (94.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration