Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Can this be improved?

Old 07-25-2005, 07:49 AM

Scanner software Preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
all i know about the scanner is that it scans !
Most scanner software applies sharpening—amongst other destructive adjustments —by default. You can change the amount of sharpening applied, or choose "no sharpening" in scanner software Preferences...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 AM

palms,

maybe it's just the jpeg compression, but check the scanner preferences. if i zoom in pretty closely i definitely see sharpening blocks of some sort.

i loaded the image
added another layer and used Fast Fix on it for contrast and brightness
added an adjustment layer for curves with a blending mode set to luminance.

that's all i've done so far. there is more detail in the baby than i originally thought.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2boys-2-girls-1-k-1.jpg (96.7 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Scanner

Well had a look around in the scanner software preferences and found nothing, then had a look at the advanced settings (see below) and found descreening ? so ticked the box and done another scan see below, not sure if there is any differnce or not ,
Thanks Craig there is definately more detail there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scann.jpg (87.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg second2.jpg (84.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM

palms,

nope, it's still there. am enclosing a close up to show you what i mean. this is an 8:1 zoom, or thereabouts. notice how everything is in blocks. that's what i'm talking about when i say 'sharpening blocks'. i simply call it that because when i sharpen in paint shop pro i get the same thing.

check your custom settings and see if there isnt something in there for this. it may not have it and the scanner may just do this for everything being that it's only a 200 dpi scanner. i'd recommend getting at least a 300 dpi, though i see where some here claim 600 dpi is the best and that anything above that on prints is worthless.

at any rate, this isnt insurmountable. the picture can still be cleaned up. and where now you can see more of the data of the baby, this is why we like 'clean' scans. those 'blocks' alter the original data and where this data is sketchy already, the blocks can make it worse instead of better.

so, back to you now. would love to see the progress as you go. i wont be doing this one up full myself. got about 50,000 things i need to be working on but will certainly help any if i can.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (71.6 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks yet again Craig for the info and yes i can see what you mean, I am able to scan at higher dpi, so will have a go at that soon and see if there is any difference ( have to hook up scanner as there are not enough plug sockets etc to keep it on all the time ) I have looked again and cannot find out about the sharpening which is maddening because as posted and reading up on the matter on a web page i cant find it anywhere but will not give up just yet, will keep you informed on how i get on though

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM

ah, good on the higher dpi 300 shld be fine. you're going to lose some when you change to jpg and post, so if you've got another place to post and link here, that would be better.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Particulars

It would be helpful to know which scanner, scanning software, and image editor you are using. I suspect you might be saving your scan as a jpeg < 1 compression > editing, then saving the file < 2 compressions >, then saving for web after resizing as a jpeg < 3 compressions > with resultant artifacts...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 07:15 AM

scanner

Skip

The scanner i have is a Visioneer ( came with the pc as part of a package), cannot find any other details, it came with very little paper work, The software is Paper Port 7.0 Deluxe !!
I had wondered about the compression thing as you say it was 3 times, so i have scanned again at 600 dpi then just dropped it into ps7 hopefully cutting one out

Just realised i have got completely confused as to which is which scanned photo gone completely do lally

so have got rid of them all and will start again later on, will do one at 300 and one at 600, unless anyone suggests something else.
thanks for advice

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Rescan

Agreed. Rescan at 600 SPI and save as something other than JPEG if possible. Sorry I am not familiar with either your scanner or software. In APS 7 make a duplicate Image/Duplicate for your editing and Save As a .psd. After editing make another Duplicate and resize the Duplicate by Croping or Image/Image size, Save for Web as a JPEG and Optimize Size. Hope this helps...best
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Just realised i have got completely confused as to which is which scanned photo gone completely do lally
ok, now you're starting to sound like me, only with me, it's 'where did i save that bloody thing to?'

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration