RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Can this be improved?

Old 07-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Can this be improved?

I have had this photo a while now and had a few stabs at it but gave up when i didn't seem to get anywhere, (think i prefer manipulation to restoration Sorry hope no one is offended) Is the photo to badly damaged to get any decent results from it ?
It is a photo of my father and his brother and sisters, Luckily my father is on the far left and was able to select him out and make a drawing of him from this. Unfortunately both of the girls have passed away the older one when she was just 16 and we think this is probably the only photo of her,
I know my father was disappointed at my attemt to improve the photo, but he also understands it is very badly damaged

can i with my limited knowledge make this any better with time and practice ?

palms

ps the scan i have of it is 1571 X 1946 pixels and the resolution is 300 pixels/inch

Last edited by palms; 07-24-2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: remove photo see later post
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Hi Palms,

That mark in the centre looks like a stain? It might be worth posting in colour in case someone can get some improvement using channels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM

ho boy.... here we go again. where's deadants and flora? i feel a tubgirls coming on

you're right. this one has some real trouble areas. at first glance i didnt even tell there was a baby between the two larger children. i've captured this to my drive and will look at it later, but in the meantime, have you split the channels out to see what data might be showing up on each channel? also, if you can post the larger scan somewhere and link it here that would help. in pictures like this you want all the resolution you can get. noise reduction isnt going to do much but lose detail at this point, so things like Neat Image arent probably going to help much at first. i see a lot of handwork here with clone/heal and some very careful hand work with a fine brush. this looks to be one of those almost forensic types where you end up speculating a lot.

have you tried curves and levels and contrast tools on this yet? this might bring out some of that dark area in the center.

also, split the channels out in not only rgb, but also cmyk. sometimes you can pick up a bit more data that way. but this looks to be a roll up your sleeves, take your time, and get out the magnifying glass type of piece. post the higher resolution image somewhere and we'll take a look

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM

Can you re-scan in RGB and post again?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM

ok, i've taken a quick look at this. i see sharpening blocks in the image. not good. was this something you did before posting or does your scanner have a sharpening filter on it? either way, the best post here is one that is completely untreated; just a raw scan at the best resolution you can get.

i also looked at the channels a bit. they're not showing much difference. seems the damage runs pretty much throughout all of them. but i am picking up a bit of detail by layering things and playing with channel mixing, contrast and negative imaging...a tiny bit.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM

Thank you all for your quick replies, I didn't actually do this scan originaly, but it sounds as if it will be best to get the original and scan again, though this will take a few days or so,

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 02:22 PM

palms,

if you have the larger version, post it now if you can. but if it has the sharpening blocks also, then yes, a re-scan would be good, but turn off any filters the scanner might be using.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Try again

Ok everyone i have managed to get hold of the original photo and boy is it bad, i am pretty sure that the darkness over the two girls is due to something (bit bigger than a cup) being put on there maybe a vase or something. I really don't think that there can be much of a improvement made to this photo
I have scanned it as a colour document at 200 dpi (please let me know if it should be any different but please not to technical, i just put a photo in and press scan) I have posted a slighly bigger file size into my gallery (a first) i think this would be the link

http://www.retouchpro.com/gallery/sh...0/ppuser/14604

and just if it is of any interest i have posted the reverse of the photo looking at it i can see someone has wrote there names on it in order of age
Mick was a nickname for mavis (the baby) also it was took in 1932
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front1.jpg (78.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg back1.jpg (74.1 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 03:14 PM

palms,

much better

one thing, though. i still see 'sharpening blocks' when i zoom in. is your scanner doing this or are you treating it before you post it?

also, there's lots that can be done for this picture. the baby is pretty far gone, but the rest isnt too bad. i can even make out an eye on the other girl.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 AM

What i am doing is putting into scanner selecting colour best (200dpi) then exporting to ps and saving as jpeg to get low enough compression to post, nothing else , and all i know about the scanner is that it scans !

This time i also have noticed that the older girl seems to have a pattern on her dress ! !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration