RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Where do I start?

Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Where do I start?

Hi,

I would like to restore my parents' wedding photo for their anniversary, but I don't know where to start the restoration process. Please advise.

-- Photo is from 1967 and is severley faded after 38 years.
-- Almost all color is gone except for the edges that were under the frame.
-- Photo is 8x10, and I scanned it in at 600 dpi in a TIFF format = 86 MB file
-- I have Photoshop Elements 3.0, but could use a friend's PS 7.0.

I am a newbie here, and am not familiar with restoration of old photos. I am familiar with digital photography and have manipulated some of my own shots, but this appears to be a huge undertaking, and any help is greatly appreciated. I see some amazing work done here, and would like to do the same myself.

Thanks in advance,
-- Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding_2_small.jpg (77.4 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Hey Todd

I'm new here too and I'm kind of guesing that the image you posted is just a touch too small for any serious work (but I'm sure someone will put me right). I'm also kind of thinking that the colour is so far gone that the only option is to hand colour it - once gain I'm expecting to be put right on that one.

Anyway, this is about as quick as it gets, all of 15 seconds.

Duplicate layer - blend mode = multiply (Cropped out border to save having to work on it - sorry, I'm lazy :-)). I'm sure there's far more work that can be done on a bigger image and that someone else will come along and offer far more advice than I can.

Cheers

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding_2_smallR.jpg (97.7 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 06:44 PM

Hi Todd,

What lamedos says is right, almost all the colour information is missing from this image. Your best option if you want a colour image, is to hand colour it.

There's a whole mass of information on colouring images here, just scan through the forums and tutorials and you should find some help.

Hopefully one of the colourising experts will give you a hand. (Not really my forte).

If you just want to get a bit of the fading out, prior to colouring, duplicate the layer, set blend mode to multiply, and adjust layer opacity till its as you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 PM

I tried this really fast and am not sure on the coloring yet, but here is what I did.
1. corrected the coloring a tad with levels on each seperate channel.
2. created a theshold layer and found the white and clack points.
3.used the levels droppers to find bl and white points.
4.Ctr+ALT +~ , then inversed it. I set that layer to mulitply. (to darken the shadows)
5.I selected the skin on each person and made a seperate layer (ctrl+J)
6.made separate layers (color mode) and colored skin color i wanted
7.Did some cloning
8. the bottom of her dress was still redish so i selected it and adjusted it with a color balance adj layer.

I hope my spelling was ok! Anyway that is roughly what I did. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (39.2 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Hi Todd,

Welcome to RP!

I had a go at your picture ....

I agree with Roy about the size .... If you need help about quality and size for your attachments, just follow the first two links under my signature ...

Let me know if you are interested in a detailed explanation ....

Jennifer,

great job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Wedding_2_small.jpg (95.1 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2005, 06:49 PM

Flora,

How do you get the skin so dark. I used the eyedropper on the girl's skin that you did, and on a blank layer (color mode) colored it with that color. But it doesn't turn out that color or yours. It's way lighter. Is there another way to color the skin? What would we do with out you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2005, 10:10 PM

I agree with jenjen.

Flora, the images you post are truly amazing.

If you don't mind me asking; how long does it take you to restore an image like this one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 AM

Jennifer, fat0n3s,

thanks for your kindness!!

Jennifer,
Quote:
How do you get the skin so dark. I used the eyedropper on the girl's skin that you did, and on a blank layer (color mode) colored it with that color. But it doesn't turn out that color or yours. It's way lighter. Is there another way to color the skin?
...It's not only a matter of chosing a lighter or a darker colour .... It's a matter of balancing lights and shadows before applying the colour!!!

As I explained in this post, *Pure or nearly pure black just as pure or nearly pure white can't be coloured..... so, before you start colouring, it is vital balancing highlights and shadows wherever necessary if you want your applied colour showing evenly throughout.*
.... meaning if you try to apply colour to nearly 'blown out' highlights or 'black' shadows in a picture, the applied colours just won't show or will be nearly invisible!!

For balancing Highligh/Shadow, you can use Levels, Curves, Brightness&Contrast or if you use PS CS you could use the wonderful Image>Adjustments>Highligh/Shadow Option ...

In my attachment, you can see original and the 'fixed for Highligh/Shadow' picture before I started to enhance/apply the colours ....

fat0n3s,

What I did here took me no more than 10 minutes ... no reconstructions, no healing, no cloning ... etc. .... the picture is only a bit faded...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Wedding_2_small-copy.jpg (98.4 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Flora,

Do you balance the highlights overall with the whole picture or do you make a selection of just her skin and use a level adj layer? That is what i have been trying to do but i just don't get it. The skin just turns red and kind of glows. This is what i did.

Ctrl J own layer
with it selected I used levels adj layer with each seperate color adjusted.
merged the layers into one
then create a blank layer and I color it

Any advice or could you walk me through it. Sorry if I'm being a pain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 10:35 AM

Just can not get away from me Flora! I would love a detailed explaination step bt step of how to achieve this finished product. I have CS2 . I will then try to learn some new processes using the posted information. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration