Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old 08-05-2005, 03:33 PM

I have a very general question. Someone wanted to know if I could retore a painting that had very few marks on it. Basically his son wanted a copy of it. I haven't seen the picture but he said it was bigger then a 8*10 and looked more like a painting. He also said that it was in a frame without the glass. Is it possible to scan it and retore a painting picture.

Sorry for my babbling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
basically, you can scan anything... with the right equipment. you'd most likely have to remove the frame, though, and then you'd need a scanner to meet the dimensions of the painting. however, even that can be handled if the scanner is smaller than the picture. you simply do parts of the painting at a time, then stitch them back together in your editor. can be tricky, but with a bit of care, not impossible. you do want to be sure the painting isnt very dry such that it would crack or flake in the scanner.

the real question becomes how to make you new digital image duplicate the real painting in the printing process. and that, i would think, would depend on several factors. how much real texture is in the painting? is the painting 'dirty', meaning, if it's had no glass in it for a while, it could be quite dry and quite filthy. does the recipient want a true painting clone, or would he accept something flatter, without real texture and depth. i mean, there's some basic questions to ask there.

after that, it's a matter of finding a printer that can meet the needs, whether this is a home printer or commercial. was it Swampy that was telling me about working in a commercial printing place? perhaps she can tell you more about what's possible.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 08:54 AM
I guess another good advice would be to scan like a photo on textured paper:

Scan the painting with your favourite resolution, then turn the painting 180 degrees and scan it again. Thus you'll get two images you can paste into two layers and merge them together.

The reason for this is: A scanner has a built in light and a photo-sensor. Since both of them have different locations, the light will never come onto the sensor in a straight 180 degrees but in a more or less different angle. By scanning the painting again upside down the light shines onto the painting from the opposite angle and thus, you'll be able to eliminate the shadow casts by the paintings texture

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Most defintely

If it is larger than 8" x 10" then a careful scan of the areas exceeding should allow you to stitch the photo together - layer upon layer
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys. Let me ask you guys this. If a customer called you and you didn't know the answer at the time or didn't set a meeting would you call them back to set up a meeting? Or basically if you were unsure to do the painting.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration