RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

cities2forest

Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Doonee

I donít think many people apart from Racc can help with this project But I like, probably others, have been reading and following along.
Please donít forget to post some results here. Iím sure others would like to see them.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 PM

@cameraken

Quote:
I like, probably others, have been reading and following along. Please donít forget to post some results here. Iím sure others would like to see them.
Absolutely, goes without saying....

Actually, im as curious as you ...

Also, if you, or others, have any ideas or suggestions, you're more than welcome to share them...

Last edited by doonee; 08-17-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
From Cameraken:
I donít think many people apart from Racc can help with this project But I like, probably others, have been reading and following along.
Please donít forget to post some results here. Iím sure others would like to see them.
Well, I finally have doonee's higher res city image that I was working on. I've also got back to the same point I was before and perhaps a little further.

Once, I've finished I will most certainly post a before and after and explain what I did to it.

As it turns out, what doonee wanted to do was nothing more than a photo manipulation. To take a current aerial image and add the forest back in as it might have been in the past. Thus, creating a past and present set of images from the exact same point of view. He plans to create a series of these image sets. I'm, so far, only working on one of them.

I know there are others here at RetouchPro that could help, too. All the discussion about DEM elevation data and 3D renderings from Terragen, etc. were all different possibilities he was considering to help get the manipulation done. So far, I've just used what's available in the source image.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM

i fell asleep somewhere back there and they carted me off to the photo art forum.

now, if we're just talking PS or PSP photo-manip, i'll sit up in class and offer what i can

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM

k,
i just reread the thread and noticed that, infact, the pic that racc is working on is not yet posted, so here it is...

its the same scene as the other cityscape covered with forest-footage, but from a somwhat closer and more lateral angle.

The city is Salvador Bahia Brazil ....

@craig
yes, i guess were "just" talking photo manip right now. .
btw, did you see the foto of how the landscape we discussed earlier
looks today ?

rgds
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssaba.jpg (34.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by doonee; 08-17-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 11:08 PM

doonee,

that pic is the same as the first one you posted in this thread? turned 90 degrees?

so i guess i just dont see what all the problem is. if you've got a pic of how things look and an idea of what it used to look like, pull out the clone tool, some pictures of forests and so forth, and away you go. ok, i know it's not quite that simple, but given that last picture you just posted, that's just about how i'd go about it.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 AM

craig

Quote:
that pic is the same as the first one you posted in this thread? turned 90 degrees?
just making sure ..
not the pic is the same, the city on the pic is the same.
the pov has moved some 90 degress, yea ..
I guess I choose to give the last pic to racc mainly because it has a somewhat better quality.

Quote:
pull out the clone tool
as a serious PS user, i am, as i told you, a newbee.
as a superficial PS user, as i told you as well, i was all over quite a few pics with *nothing but* the clone tool and the erazor, quite a few times, off and on over like a few weeks or so.
personally, i was not too happy with the results, so I came here, wondering what serious users might be doing to it, and how.....

Clone-wise, the difference with the other pic you had looked at in the beginning (the one involving a terragen render) is that there are some trees in the original. So, of course, one starts off the cloning material in the pic.
Thats a natural thing to do and its how it all started for me as well.

One step further, i guess, is when the reference pic has no trees in it, so the cloning footage has to come from somewhere else.

Also one up is when the reference pic has horizon and more depth, (like the first cityscape picture i had shown) because one gets to deal with distant haze etc.

Then the treefootage pic may be taken from a different angle than the pic where theyre supposed to go. This gets you to skewing etc.

It may sound silly, but Im new to that, so i get sidetracked.
I may have, for example, tried to create a particular angle in a 3D app just to try matching the angle in which my treefootage is taken, simply because im not confident with skewing. I would thus work *around* Photoshop rather than *with* it.

When i noticed that, i came here, and yea, thats pretty much it.

Last edited by doonee; 08-18-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 PM

doonee,

ok. you might be making this more complex than it needs to be. i understand about sizes of trees and haze and i think even the skewing you were talking about. if the pov is high up, a tree wouldnt look the same as if the pov were close to the ground. ok, fair enough.

but, here's the secret; it doesnt matter. there are TONS of pictures you can reference and clone from. i often borrow other pictures and clone pieces of them into another picture. if the size is off, then i simply resize the source image to make it fit the effect image (the one receiving the clones). the haze can be put back in AFTER all your cloning. shadows can be put back in AFTER the cloning and so on and so forth. it's really pretty simple. you do want to pay attention to tree types and things like that. you dont want palm trees in canada but, really, it's pretty much that simple.

in the very first picture you postedd in this thread, the ONLY thing i see wrong is that you started from the front of the image and worked towards the back. that's backwards, at least in this case. start from the back and work forwards. this will overlap your trees nicely. and, unless you're working with VERY high res pictures and up fairly close, there's really not going to be all that much detail you'll have to correct after the cloning.

and, if you're lucky and do a good search, you can sometimes even make this simpler by doing whole sections cut from one and pasted into another.

now, if you really dont like the idea of cloning, there are other ways to do what you want. take your original picture and one with a lot of trees that you want to implant into the original. make a new layer and paste the tree image into it. then, lower the opacity of the tree image which is on top of the other so you can sort of see both. then, use your eraser to simply remove the bits of the tree layer that dont fit in the lower layer.

you can also do this with masks, either hide all or show all and simply remove parts of the mask to allow the image to show through to the other.

heck, there's prolly even other ways i havent considered, but those might get you started or further along.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Another way may be to make a tree into a brush and paint on trees. The brush could be changed in size for different distances.

All you would need is one good tree and you could make all the others from it. Just vary size and hue (This could be built into the brush)

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM

This post is just to show that the blue cast can be removed quite easily

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_paitest8-6 copy.jpg (87.8 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration