cities2forest

Old 08-20-2005, 04:23 PM

ken
btw.
the kind of jequitiba (theres quite a few) you'd want looks like this here:

rgds
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arvore1.jpg (17.8 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Doonee

Here is My attempt No.1
Please tell me what you think. There is no point doing too much if I’m going in the wrong direction.

How is the scale?
Do I need different trees?
How is the colour?
How is the mist?
Etc. Etc.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_guaratinga3 copy.jpg (85.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 11:42 AM

now that's primordial, ken

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 12:01 PM

Ken

As for the colours, its hard to say at this point. You have to imagine this area as covered with *thick* rainforest almost entirely, pretty much like in raccs pic. Thus very few of the colors now present in this landscape will been visible in the final.
Ideally, A2 is 'draped' over B entirely, leaving only the steep slopes of the boulders looking out. If I had the area as a 3D model, my first try would be to drape it with A2 (or similar) compeltely, to see how that looks. Next, I would use slightly more detailed material as i approach the foreground. Intuitively, I try to follow this approach with PS.

As for the mist, since the scene is nicely divided into slices by the hillsides, i dont worry about that too much yet. I worry more how to get the mist OUT of A2, so i have more options for my cloning.

As for the different trees, as i said, its a box of pandora.
Theres over 400 species of trees alone on a single ha, not counting whats growing ON them and around them. Im quite convinced that this botanic madness can only be shown in abstract terms, or from an adequate distance.
Although it does look good, a 'Jequitiba monoculture' can't do it, unfortunately.
Its a good start, since J. trees are emergents and stick their tops out of the rest of the canopy, so once we find a good canopy cover, we can add an occasional J. tree. But without that canopy, and in groups, J trees contribute little in terms of realism.

I had my own go with this.
For *me* -for now- the center of interest is to learn how to skillfully paste *entire forests* over landscapes. Thus, the lake and the 2 palms, beeing closer in the foreground, protagonists if you will, in my eyes represent an unwanted 'additional problem'.
I percieve them as a trap, since, besides of the lake beeing obviously man-made, they invite work on the level of individual trees, which opens yet another technical abyss (at least for me).

Too bad for me, cause i did not really notice that when choosing the motive.
I liked the boulders and the other distant stuff and got off on that.

Note theres also the option of cropping the original to get rid of the lake and the foregroud alltogether, but since were working on it together, I tried to tackle the problem. The first was to find out what my options were to play down the lakes importancy or even hide it if I deem that necessary later on. I googled, got some closer distance forests and played with their colours, until i felt safe that the foreground issue will be somehow manageable.

Next, I tried to divide the rest of the landscape in layers, hillside by hillside, and to experiment with adding canopy structures and textures i found at google. I searched for colours inside the original as a guide, to which i tried to adapt the paste material.
I want credible mid-distance and long-distance rainforests, and so i need to worry about structure and variation. Im very unexperienced in color matching etc. in PS, and so that took a while.
I guess the more distant parts will be easier.
I have some hopes that adding a final haze layer will harmonize the colors.

Sorry this msg became so long again, but, hey, I try to do my best.

doonee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-try001.jpg (70.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by doonee; 08-21-2005 at 06:30 PM. Reason: grammar grammar grammar
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 12:10 PM

ah yes, craig, and heres what came out of my go at raccs pic so far.

i left some of the clone material layers open so you can see what i use.

I need to learn how to adjust colors better, and i need to find out how to make myself a 'canopy brush', so i can paint forest edges my easily.

regards
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg structure.jpg (45.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 04:22 PM

doonee,

looking good. i dont know all the tools in PS, but i know they have some sort of color balance adjustment layer. you might try that. you could also mask areas and then apply the color balance. in paint shop pro i have a couple of handy brush tools that i could use, hue up/down, saturation up/down, and lightness up/down. but i dont know if PS has those or not.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 06:28 PM

craig

just out of curiosity ...
could i open my psd in Paintshop, apply these brushes you mention and then go back to Photohop ?

greets
d
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 10:13 PM

doonee,

yes, paintshop pro will handle .psd files and with all their layers intact. PS, however, doesnt handle .psp files, the snobs.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
From Kraellin:
good job. but a bit too uniform. vary your spacing and rows and such. just break it up a bit.
Yes, it is a little too uniform. That's due the the limited number of samples available in the image. As I mentioned, it was just a first pass. Some work does still need to be done to break up the repetitive pattern.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM

racc,

ok.

i'm playing sideline coach on this one, so if i get too annoying, just tell me to shut up and go away.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration