cities2forest

Old 08-28-2005, 09:05 AM

Craig and Larry ....

thanks for your ideas
will try to consider all that ...

d
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM

What I did for that area way back in my other post was to add a layer mask to the foilage that was pasted there and carefully paint in a gradual transition.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 12:40 PM

craig and larry
hi racc, how you been ?

i found some aproppiate textures and got them into the pic.

im confident now that ill manage to structure-wise blend them in at the sides, but i have doubts if i can deal with adapting the colours of each 'section' to the other.

i attached two pics and i hope theyre large enough this time ...

pic 1 shows current degree of 'reforestation'
pic 2 marks the three areas which need adaptation.

i find the area to the bottom right best adapted to the light of the pic.
Compared to that, the area to the left doesnt get enough 'yellow/orange sunlight', a contrast which shows mostly when one compared the colors of the shadows in the two areas.

the area in the back actually has the original colours of the pic, but at this point id like to adpt these to the bottom right area, which simply has the best looking forests.

im a 100% fool in colour correction and adaption, so any hint is appreciated.

doonee

there is also an issue in abrupt change of blurriness between the front and back areas, but i guess this can be easily managed.
nicest of course would be a kind of gradual blurr of the areas in the front, as they fade into distance, but i dont know if this option exists...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adaptthis.jpg (48.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg adaptthis2.jpg (47.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by doonee; 08-30-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: artohgruphi
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Oh, I'm hanging in there.

I think you finally found some good forest sources. One possibility to get the warmer sunlight feeling on your pasted trees might be to try the Photo Filter in IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS. Select all and copy merged then paste that at the top of the layers. Run the photo filter adjustment on the image and select a warm color. Then, apply a layer mask to the layer and fill it with black. Then paint with a soft white brush where ever you want the effect. Haven't tried this, so don't know if it's what you want.

You can get a gradual transition to the more blurred trees by using our friend the layer mask again. Paste more than you need of the sharper trees so they overlap the blurred ones. Apply a layer mask and either use a black/white gradient or paint with a very soft brush to get a gradual transition between them.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 PM

doonee,

here's what i'd suggest as a workflow:

do ALL your cloning first. get all the basic elements in there. dont worry about the other stuff yet, blurring, haze and all that. just ignore it for now. start at the back of the image and clone forward, making your adjustments for size as you go.

then, do you edge blending and any other oddities that might have come up in the cloning. this is still a clone/smudge/push action stage.

now, if areas need shadows or blurring or haze, mask that area with a show all mask and the rest of the image with a hide all. then, make your adjustments for haze, blurring and so on. go over each area that you want to correct like this.

if everything looks good, then good. if not, then determine exactly what's not right and make corrections or go back through your workflow and edit. you may also want to flatten all to make any final minor changes/edits.

and yes, that's a MUCH better image size to post here. thanks

you're looking good. bear in mind that shadows can exist because of clouds, so, variations in shadow/light arent necessarily 'wrong'. it could actually look that way.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 AM

Craig

thanks ...

I'm going over so much forest footage here, that I feel its essential to test *first* whether final colour adaption wil lead to appropiate results.

Besides, its what I need to learn most badly, so let me rephrase the above post quickly, like so:

Suppose that all pasting etc. has been done in the above pic.
How do i adapt the colours of the area to the bottom left to those of the area to the bottom right, especially the shadows ?

Any clues ?
Best regards and thanks
d
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2005, 01:10 PM

doonee,

you mask or select the area you wish to change and use things like channel mixing, color balance, or even curves on the various channels to adjust both color and lightness. if you use this method, it's best to feather your edges so they'll blend into non-affected areas.

or, if you have the brushes/tools, you can simply use something like the lightness/darkness brush, the hue up/hue down brush, saturation up/saturation down brush over the areas you want to alter.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM

craig

Quote:
it's best to feather your edges so they'll blend into non-affected areas.
that was a good one, thnks
d
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 PM

you're welcome

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration