Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

need help cropping for enlargement printout

Old 09-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you are degrading the image with your workflow. I doubt the necessity of Fractals to achieve a 13x19 from your captures. Recapping some of the points above and inserting a bit of my own workflow.

1.After importing the RAW file into Photoshop save as a .psd, "not .jpg". Every time you edit and save a jpg there is a resultant compression loss and it will show up on a 13x19. If you need to do further editing to your RAW file, make a "Duplicate" image, and perform the edits on the Duplicate. Essentially your RAW import is your negative, save it untouched, and the Duplicate of your RAW is your working negative, save it also. imagename_raw, imagename_working.

2. After you have made the necessary edits on the RAW file Duplicate, make a "Duplicate" image for "each" crop size required, and crop. As mentioned above, I put the image size in the file name to avoid confusion, imagename_5x7.psd, imagename_13x19.psd.

3. Anything from 240 to 300 DPI will print, I use 288 DPI as my working resolution.

4. I save files in sub-folders within a job name folder. I title the subfolders: Original, Edit, Print. orig_filename.psd, edit_filename_57.psd, print_filename_1319.psd, etc.

To recap pertinent points, save as .psd, and get into the habit of working on duplicate images. I am not suggesting you have to save a whole bunch of files permanently, but it does come in handy if you need to revisit the file at a future date for another print, or re-edit with new found knowledge. best...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Image resize

I disagree that Image Resize does the same thing. On a 4x6 image, you can't simply change the image size to 8x10, the math doesn't work. You have to get rid of an inch off a 4x6 to get the crop of an 8x10. The crop tool is the only tool to do this accurately. As long as you enter the resolution you want the new cropped image to be, along with the size, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration