RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ideas on how to colour this photo?

Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM

amber,

that is really lovely! very nicely done!

and nick, i like yours as well.

cathy, what a great photo and you're really doing it justice

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 05:16 PM

and cathy,

might i suggest that there are a couple of other pictures within that picture. a head and shoulders crop would make a lovely pic. the pot/vase/flowers would make a great pic also.

and, if you're so inclined, i think this would make a great pic to post in the photo art area. i can easily see some oils and water colors here.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Hi Craig,

You are right - there are a couple of nice detail areas as well in this picture. I fell in love with it as soon as I found it, even when I wasn't sure who it was!

I will have a think about your suggestion on the photo art forum. My mother is very sensitive about her privacy and the memory of her parents, so I think may not like it if I let it be used elsewhere, or played with too much. I think I can picture what you are saying though and it could produce some nice results, but I think for now staying in the restoration forum somehow seems more respectful (sorry - that sounds daft, doesn't it??)

Bill - you are right - my mother spotted the hand too. I can only assume that it is her holding my mothers hand, though it is odd that she has been cut out of the photo. Sadly there is no one else in the family to check with - my mother was an only child, both of her parents immigrants from England with no roots left that I know of. I found this photo, with a lot of other unidentified photos in an old cigar box, basically all that is left of my grandparents, that I'm now sifting through, trying to find the patterns.

ps. Craig - I'm Caitlin not Cathy! *lol* (Though I'm very flattered - I really admire Cazubi's work!)

Last edited by Caitlin; 08-15-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
(sorry - that sounds daft, doesn't it??)
not in the least.

Craig

urp! caitlin! (not cathy!) (now who looks daft!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 AM

Well you will see from the attached why colouring scares me off a bit - I'm just not good at laying it on! What do people think - too subdued? And I guess the $1000 question is, does it look nice coloured, or should it stay sepia?

Also I do find it hard to do the cross over areas well - ie. the hair/forehead/around the ear - I would love some advice on the best way of overlaying the hair and skin shading with a natural looking result?

Also, I'm very aware of Vikki's advice not to leave anything grey, but I'm not sure how to overcome this when I think I'd quite like the idea of leaving a lot of the image white?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-38coloured.jpg (99.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 08-16-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 AM

i dont know the answers there, caitlin, but it looks far better than what i could do.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM

Wouldn't it be great if Vikki had a tutorial on coloring? Or a giant list of do's and don'ts for coloring that we could refer too (and often at that!) If she already has one-please point me in that direction! She is an inspiration!

Caitlyn, I think your coloring looks great. I can see a couple of gray spots but the colors are really good. The thing about the gray- even if you are leaving areas white, in real life white has a tinge of blue or other shades. so if you make a solid color adjustment layer of a light blue- change the layer mode to color then lower the opacity to approx 6-9% where it's barely there then use a layer mask and paint it in. That's the secret of my coloring is lots of layers and lots of masks. I never make selections of an area, I just paint in the black mask (hide all mask) I found a shortcut on this one that I had not tried before. With it being a very yellow sepia tone, I duplicated the original and then used Hue and Saturation to give it a more pinkish skin tone color- then used the Hide all mask and painted in the color on the face and arm. This was my beginning skin tone. After that I used solid color adjustment layer and gradiant maps on the rest of the photo. For the vase and her hair, I used a golden tan color- like that of Simba- in Color mode at an opacity of about 58% and I painted it on a black mask using a soft white brush. Lots of colors! Remember there are different modes, sometimes overlay looks better than color and vice verse. And opacity- I love to use masks and a brush at a low opacity so that I get lighter and darker shades using just one color and vary the opacity of the brush/mask.

How are you coloring, Caitlyn?

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (96.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Hue-and-saturation.jpg (91.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM

coloring a black and white photo

Hello Caitlin,

I gave your photo a try at coloring. I thought it was a beauty and very classical.
I also think the two woman are the same person.

Mostly I used layers with different colors and set the blend mode to either color or multiply.

cathy hunley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (90.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM

That's lovely Cathy - what have you done with the dress, it looks like you've added some yellow in there?

Thanks for the detail on your technique Amber - it's fascinating how there are so many ways to achieve colouring! I've attached a screenshot of how I did it this time - which may explain why I've ended out with some obvious grey bits.

I used layers set to colour and lowish opacity, and painted on the detail - which maybe is why I find it difficult to manage the crossover spots. I'm not sure where I picked up this technique now.

I did think of making the whole picture sepia - I think I remember reading that here before, but I decided I rather liked the dress and background being white?

I agree - a great big do/don't, handy tips list from Vikki would be marvelous!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colouring.jpg (99.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 PM

wow!

There's some really great colourings on this thread. I guess this image lends itself really well...

Here's another try, though still unfinished.

Thanks,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NST_Unfin_sm_2.jpg (64.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration