RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ideas on how to colour this photo?

Old 08-16-2005, 07:54 PM

"That's lovely Cathy - what have you done with the dress, it looks like you've added some yellow in there? "

Yes, I used a very light yellow, RGB 250, 250, 213. and that layer mode was left on normal with a %75 opacity, with pure white high lights.

I'm new at these replies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 08:00 PM

welcome to RP, CathyH

and caitlin, like it or not, you seem to have created a challenge
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Hi Caitlin

Beautiful picture and very well done on your colouring.
You have got the skin tone colours just about spot on. I do not think this is under saturated at all in fact if I were doing this I may de-saturate it a little. But that is personal choice.

Your picture looks great on the screen but if you intend to print it then it may look a little strange.

Vicky always says to colour everything even if it should be grey. I agree with this and I think your background would look better printed with a bit of colour/noise.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Untitled-38coloured copy.jpg (91.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Ken - that is absolutely lovely! Particularly the flannel flowers, you've done a superb job. Any chance of having a peek at your layers for that?

Last edited by Caitlin; 08-17-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 01:54 PM

Hi Caitlin

Thank You for your kind comments

I have been colouring pictures for years. We used to take a Black and White Photo then Sepia tone it then my wife used to colour them with oil paint.
Now we use PS7 but I always feel like I’m still learning. I tried the three tutorials at the Worth site bit just can’t seem to get the hang of them so I always go back to layers set to colour like you did.

I have attached my layers but if you are looking to see how I did the flower it does not really show.

I created a brush for random flowers to add colour to grass and all sorts of other things.

The brush works on foreground and background colours. In this picture I set my colours to bright red and bright yellow. Brush size of 12 then I faded the layer opacity to 80%.

I am downloading this as a zip file from which you will need to extract the abr file.
If you don’t understand what to do with this the let me know and I’ll post instructions.

You could put your old avatar in there as well

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Layers.jpg (71.5 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ken_Random Flower.zip (625 Bytes, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Hi all,

As I've said there truly are some incredible colourings on this thread. And Caitlin's rendition seems very soft and.....well 'tangible'. But to me looks a little too 'painted'. The colour variation is great but not real.It looks like an amazing colouring rather than a colour photo. Even more so with Ken's flowers...

just my opinion,
Nick
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Hi Nick,

I guess as the photo itself is not totally natural - it has been retouched and 'painted' a bit to give it that look, I wasn't expecting a totally photo-realistic colourisation. More just an attractive hand coloured appearance. I supose my expectation is that as this photo pre-dates colour photos, the look I expect is more a hand painted one, as was commonly done at the time. But that doesn't mean a more photo-realistic interpretation isn't good too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 AM

Ken - I've finally tried out your fairy dust brush - how delightful! I haven't enountered a multicoloured brush before. The combination of colours seems more complex that just foregound/background though, but from my testing so far I haven't figured out quite what it is....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration