Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

transfer a shading

Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
what i tried to say was that the use of a single sat-image draped over the entire terrain isnt really the scope of apps like max, vue & Co. There, users go about texturing the terrain in more detailed ways, using max-UVW, distribution maps, vue-ecosystems etc. etc.
Using a single bmp fto texture the whole thing doesnt make use of all these features and gives very varying results, because thats not so much what they expect their users to do.
Thats why i was left curious whether they had an example somewhere using a terrain textured by a single big image. I guess i have to try myself to find out.
That's all true, but I don't see anything that would prevent you from doing what you want to do. Which is, if I understand correctly, to generate the landscape mesh from a grayscale DEM image and then cover the surface of that mesh with your own textures made from edited satellite imagery. Max is perfectly suited to do that. It's Max 101.

The Dreamscape people wouldn't have examples of this in their gallery because they want to show what their plugin can do so they can sell it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 PM
yup all agreed
i was just curious to see an example.
ive played around a bit with a demo of VUE, and it looks pretty good.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Doonee, not sure what you are after but I tried this:

Copied B (green texture) into A (dark flat) on a new layer, just drug layer over.

With B above A, and B selected used Blend if in Blending Options - just double click the layer.

Messed with Blend if, first using green channel, then gray. On Green brought underlaying layer shadow up to 169, keeping left shadow marker at zero. You can split the marker by holding ctrl-alt and pick the right marker and move. This makes the blending gradual.

Still on top layer used Curves to lower contrast of the green texture and then to green channel to mess with the color of green I wanted. You may also try Hue/Saturation to desaturate the greens if you think they are too prominent.

Then to bottom layer, dark flat. Messed with contrast and brought its green up a little. Like salt and pepper - to taste.

Then tried Blend if again to fine tune and change things a bit.

So I suggest that if your other program options don't work out, that you spend some time with Blend if. If you don't understand it, there are some tutorials on RetouchPro that will get you started. Play with it some and you will get the hang of it.

Points to consider:

The lighting should be as similar as you can get for the two images, not intensity, but direction and hardness.

Texture layer above the base layer. This way you can work on them seperately without masking, cloning, etc. You can apply adjustment layers to each of the layers, place them in separate sets so that they only effect the one layer. Then you can go back if you change your mind and readjust, turn effects on and off to check progress and so on. This is probably critical as you will probably have much trial and error to get your effect.

You are trying to match things so it looks realistic. You have to consider:

Contrast of one to the other. Match using adj layer - curves, levels, what ever works.

Color. Again adj layer and what ever method works for you to change color.

Saturation. Does one of the layers seem "brighter" or more saturated than the other. Chang one layer or the others saturation may help bring the image in to more realistic balance.

The image I have attached is probably not what you want but I bet that somewhere in my process that image could or was achieved. The left image is the final image with the texture layer smaller than the base layer. I outlined the texture layer because the effect is subtle and you might miss it. The effect could be made much more pronounced - greener, brigher, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doneee-2.jpg (95.8 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Doonee,
not sure if this is what you are after, In Photoshop CS under Image>Adjust>Match Colour you just define the source picture that you want to copy the colour of and that's how I got the sample posted. Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadeto4.jpg (60.1 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM
guys ...
thnks 4 all your ideas ...

im a bit distracted by a virus attack ...
ill be back when its done ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
not sure what you are after
not sure if this is what you are after
ok ...
theres two areas in the picture:
A the one to the top left has 'more shading, as does the rest of the pic.
B the one to the top right has 'better texture'

id like to get the shading pattern from A onto B.

ill use the picture as an overlay over a landscape in a 3d app and id prefer a pic with 'better texture' which inherited 'native shading' ...

im off to face the trojans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example753.jpg (37.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by doonee; 09-02-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Flora
To select luminosity directly from the Layers the combinations that work with my keyboard are:
Yes, these select the luminosity of the individual color channels (RGB). Number 1 is "RED", 2 is "GREEN" and 3 is "BLUE". The RGB channel is (as has been previously mentioned) cmd/cntrl+opt/alt+~ (tilde). Too bad these can't be reassigned new keypresses in the Keyboard Shortcut settings. It would be nice to be able to change them, although... you could, alternatively, create and Action that uses an FKey to load them.

To select the luminosity of ANY channel (including the RGB, LAB or CMYK channels) from the Channels Palette simply cmd/cntrl+click on the individual channel's thumbnail icon.

If you want to load the luminosity of the entire image as a selection, just go to the Channels Palette and cmd/cntrl+click the RGB image thumbnail.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration