RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

fix neck

Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM

doesn't care

He didn't want his neck retouched. I guess he feels okay with it. i'm trying to make them match more.

Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 AM

finally finished

Well here is my final try. Hopefully they will like it. This is the finished product with complete retouching to look natural and not too overdone. Her neck still doesn't look quite as natural as I would like. I tried the technique you used Phil and didn't quite get the result that you had. Yours too me looked the most natural and matched her husbands the most. I appreciated everyones tips and tried several versions.

I tried the warp tool also but need more practice with it, so I trashed that version. The explanation in Katrin Eismanns book used the warp tool but the neck in her example was very different. If anyone knows of any tutorials using the warp tool let me know.

Thanks to all for the input.
Vicki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneckfinal.jpg (98.5 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 AM

Please let us know what the client finally likes. For me, I like Gary's and Phils rendition. The neck is reduced without making her look like it's a neck from a 22 year old. You might want to have a version where the correction is not so dramatic and let them decide.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:31 AM

Vidanse, a very nice final touch but something quite easy to reduce and provide a little more shape to the finished item (I think) would to be grab using the colour picker some of the shadow from under the neck and on a new layer, just applying in a low opacity in colour mode some shading with the paintbrush up to the shadow line on the cheek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneckfinal copy.jpg (90.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 AM

good tip

thanks for the tip Cassidy. I did just what you described and it helped make it look more natural. Will let you all know what they think.

Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:51 AM

wishing you the best with this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 02:18 PM

The retouched neck area has purplish cast so it stands out from the other neck areas.

Try this, set your brush to blending Color, opacity 5-10%, and large, soft. Sample a good skin area from the neck or chin - while in brush mode, hold down the Alt key to the eyedropper and make sample.

Sweep over the discolored area, gradually removing the color cast. Might be a good idea to make a snapshot before you start, so that you can make several tries if necessary until you build up the technique.

This similar in effect to painting from a layer with low opacity, but it is quicker. You can also do different areas by resampling as you go. For example to reduce red areas and bring them into line with the rest of the skin.

This sometimes does not work, especially if the effected area is too strong and saturated in a particular color. But for slight casts, it does a good job of evening out things.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Hi Vicki:

On a separate layer I cloned from surrounding areas of the neck using varying amounts of opacity. While cloning I tried to keep some skin texture under her neck so that the repair would not stand out as much. On a separate blank layer, I set the mode to color, selected a color sample from another area of her neck and painted in a more uniform color to her repaired neck.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck_after.jpg (98.3 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration