RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

fix neck

Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 AM

fix neck

Help I have a portrait of an older couple. She wants her neck made to look less fat. If anyone could point me to some good tutorials on this I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks Vicki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck.jpg (91.9 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 AM

Vicki,

I recommend Katrin Eismanns book Restoration & Retouching, she has a wonderful tutorial on Reducing Double Chins. I'll play with it and see what I can do.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Ok Vicki, Here's what I got with Photoshop 7.

First thing, Duplicate your background layer. On the duplicate layer, I used the patch tool and the healing brush to cover the wrinkles on her neck. If you lasso the areas that you are working on then you are less likely to blend into her shirt and her necklace. If the patching looks too artificial, adjust the opacity of the layer to let the original skin show through. I felt like her shoulder on the right side was just a tad too high so I generously lasso'ed the right shoulder with the blue background- copy and paste then moved the selection down to cover the original shoulder. That's just about it! It didn't take but maybe 5 minutes. It takes longer to write the description and save the project! I hope that helps some, if you have any questions at all, just ask.

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before-and-After-Fixneck.jpg (97.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Doublechinfix-web.jpg (98.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Patch.jpg (79.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Layer.jpg (55.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 PM

Hi Vicky,

Just did a quick clone job to give you some idea.

Getting below the 100k limit here means I couldn't post the full size without compromising quality even more than it's already been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck copy.jpg (83.8 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 PM

i used the warp brush to adjust and iron out some of the wrinkles and the waddle. i also used it to pull the left side of her neck in all along the dress line. i did the same on her right side and pulled the lower cheek in a bit. also ironed out some wrinkles in her cheek/jaw on her left.

i used the clone to smooth things up a bit in the previous waddle area, some push and smudge also. made a selection of that same area and added back some noise for texture. burn and dodge tool to get the shadows back in right.

i dont know if PS has the warp tool, but it's a great tool. notice i didnt say warp mesh. the warp tool is actually a brush that does the same thing only with extra arguements to it that allow for 'push', 'expand', 'contrast', 'iron', 'twirl' and some others. very handy tool for things like this.

great looking couple! love the shot.

Craig

edit: oh, i also whitened her teeth up a bit. no extra charge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck-1-k-1.jpg (97.5 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM

I used the healing brush. I used long, thin oval shapes slanting left, right, and horizontal to more or less matching the neck direction. Of course, on a section of a duplicated layer. Used lots of short stokes.

When working on the neck area next to the dress, I enclosed the area using the magnetic lasso set to follow the dress line closely with a 1-2 pixel feather. This way you won't get any color bleed from the dress. I also used the clone some in this area. If the dress line is too sharp after this, use the blur tool to soften.

When done, the area had a grayish cast caused by blending in all of the dark wrinkle lines. Set brush to color, 5-10% opacity, and hold down the alt key and select a skintone that is in the light mid range and vibrant. With large soft brush, go over grayish area. It will dissapear, leaving a more natural skin tone.

Put back slight wrinkle line under chin by healing from a dark area with small strokes.

I still need a little more shadow under the chin, that is a little darker. This I would do latter in my workflow using a dodge and burn layer, 50% gray, overlay blending. White lightens and black darkens.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck-LL.jpg (96.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 11:00 AM

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the input. I really appreciate this forum and web site.
Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Patron

Fix Neck

I just worked on the bulging neck. I used the patch tool to eliminate her surgical scar and then selected an area just beyond the bulge. That selected area I copied to a new layer and then used the move tool to move it over the bulge. I cloned the residual.

The area that I selected before copying is outlined in green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NeckRetouch.jpg (66.0 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM

I used the patch tool followed by clone. Then found a med skin tone added a new layer set my brushes to about 50% and painted on the layer, created another layer picked a shadow tone from her skin and repainted in the shadows. Used noise on both these layers at .4 to simulate skin, and merged three layers. Set opacity to about 70% and then merged with original image and used clone one more time. Time 7 minutes. Like everyone else had to limit the file to under 100k, so doesn't look as good as it could.
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck.jpg (93.1 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 01:12 PM

And what about his neck???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixneck-2.jpg (93.0 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration