RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing my beard using Paint Pro Shop 9

Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Too funny, I was referring to the shape your lips might be, not how they might be used-but you probably know that! I'm just guessing as far as shape, you would be the best for that task! As far as the eyes go, I sharpened them, to bring the colors out and on this version painted back in the black on the Iris of the right eye, that was missing. ~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillip-Green-lip.jpg (94.9 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2005, 10:38 PM

Dam you good Nancy! Now I have my kissing lips again. Nice touch on the eyes too! Thanks again and I am learning as we go. I notice as each day passes, I been calling my Paint Pro Shop 9 less names. Which means, this old country boy is learning something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
hi topgun,

and welcome to RP.

for the hair, because it's black and there's already a lot of other black in the picture, you'll probably need to duplicate the layer and then mask the hair on the duplicate. from there you can use hue/sat, channel mixer, color balance, paint it on with a light opacity or something like the fast fix plugin. you could also try making a new raster layer and paint the color you want the hair on the raster layer. then, erase the bits that dont overlay to the layer below and set a blend mode of overlay, screen, or maybe luminance....i forget, but it shld be one of those. just try em all you might also have to lower the opacity of the raster layer a bit.

Craig
Remember Craig, I only had this program for a week and I didnt have a clue what you was talking about how to change hair color. Masking and dupicate is all new to me. Please explain it step by step.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM

hi topgun,

thank you for the kind words.

you've definitely improved. that 2nd picture is much better! just keep practicing. cloning is the one tool i had to master before i felt confident enough to start restoring pictures. it's well worth the time to learn.

nancy,
yes, it was no random choice that i started on his left side (our right). nice job, btw

and on the hair, topgun, do you have the manual for psp 9? i'm sure there is a chapter on layers in there. i'll explain it briefly, but you shld read the manual. all the good editors like psp and ps use layers. the idea is one of stacking things on top of existing things, thus, layers. if you look over on the right side you shld see what is called a layer palette. this is where you keep track of all your layers. normally, you start out with any image having just one layer. this one base layer is called the background layer. generally, you never work on that layer. you simply use it for reference. you can, but it's a good practice to never alter this base layer so you never overwrite and lose this base layer. so, what do you work on? well, you simply make a duplicate of the base background layer. if you RIGHT click on that base layer you'll get a menu. one of the menu items there is 'duplicate'. click on that and it will a complete duplicate of that layer you clicked on. and, it will now show up in the layer palette labeled a 'copy of....' whatever layer you made the duplicate of.

with me so far? so, basically you can make duplicates of any layer in the layer palette or even create new ones of different types and have them all stacked on top of each other in the layer palette. what this does for you is allow you to make copies of your work within your workspace so that you can make changes without destroying what you've already done. so, you could make a duplicate of your background in your beard picture, clone out the one side and have it look nice, make a duplicate of that, and clone out the other side so that if you screwed up the 2nd one and just wanted to erase the whole thing, you could by just erasing that layer. but, you'd still have the layer with the good work on it. there are other applications than this for layers, but that shld give you an example of the power of layers.

i also mentioned masks, but we'll take this one step at a time.

how's the cloning going?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM

Wink

Thank you topgun and Craig for the nice remarks. Will enjoy seeing the final when you are finished, topgun... and then "the blonde look" should be an interesting challenge for you!
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 07:52 PM

Craig,
Thanks for explaining what layers are. Now I will give it a try, and keep your posted how its coming alone. Give me a few days since this is a big project for me.

Nancy,
I hope to post a blond picture of me within the next few days, since this going to take a while learning layers, masks and colors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Personally topgun i think you would look better with deep blue eyes rather than green, especially that colour green, its abit scary, take yourself to the blues instead i think you will suit it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration