Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Matching sizes

Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Matching sizes

I have a page that is supposed have 6 people's portraits in a row. Of these 5 were photographed by a professional in a studio, and they all are pretty much the same size. I am not quite sure how to word this to get the message across, but the sizes of those people who had the professional portraits done, the heads are roughly the same size. The sixth one was not, and it is this one that concerns me. I have to try and make #6 look similar to #'s 1-5.

My first idea was to make the canvas are larger, and put in a neutral background so the head size would be similar. I tried using the clone tool, but I run into problems with persons hair. She has a short haircut on the sides but the top is where I run into problems. I keep running into those stray hairs on top, with the result that looks blocky, for want of a better term. There is also the area at the bottom and sides where her clothing is.

Does anyone have a technique whereby I can eliminate the existing background, and get her, all the stray hairs and her clothing so it looks natural?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Christo,

Sounds like masking may be the key to what you're looking for. Here is a link to one of my favorite techniques for this:

A quick search in this forum for "hair masking" turns up many helpful items as well. You may want to look at this thread:

Hope this helps!

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration