RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Confused about process.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Confused about process.

I have read and watched many different books, tutorials (VTC), and other articles about scanning. The issue that I seem to get different reviews about it whether to use the built in curves, levels, and other adjustments in the scanner software. I know that SilverFast software seems to be amazing. I do not have that unfortunatley. I do have the ability on this canon scanner to adjust the curves, levels, and such, so do I use them before scanning or should I scan and then adjust in photoshop CS2?

If I did have the silverfast would things be different in procedure? That is assuming you tell me that I should not use the built in adjustments in the canon software.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:40 AM

dont know a thing about silverfast.

as for the rest, i would think that would depend on the output you get from the scanner with and without the preset filters. so, that's just a matter of testing and preference.

i'd also add that if you're going to post on a site like this one, do the scans without. we prefer the base images without filtration.

oh, and welcome to retouchpro

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:48 AM

thanks

As for the scanning here, I know, I know... you all love the base level look.

I am considering a new scanner since this only does 600ppi with 1200 on the high end, so, 600 X 1200. The bit depth is only 24 I think, and most of my scanning is for making fake IDs. (Just kidding, , had to say it though)

No, really most of my scans are of 1900-1950s pics, so I want to get something that will really let me get down to the nice grey spectrum in the older black and whites.

Without exceeding 500 bucks, any suggestions? I know this is more a question for the hardware section but thought I would throw it in here while I had a bite.

And thanks for the warm welcome here, this site is great!

Regards

Dane
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM

the concensus around here is, you dont need anything above 600 dpi for photographs and i tend to agree. heck, i only use a 300 and seems fine to me.

be just a bit wary of some of those 1800 x 1800 type ads. those are the same thing you see in digital cameras where they say 24x (digital, not optical). basically, all that amounts to is the same thing as zooming in in photoshop or psp. now, that's not to say a scanner couldnt scan at 1800 x 1800, but read the fine print first

the thing with the built in filtrations of scanners is, they vary quite a bit. and, they can cause 'lies' in the image. now, all i mean by lies here is alteration. that's why we like base, clean, raw scans. we dont want the alterations or artifacting that some do and so on. i'd point you to a couple of images here on the site where we collectively pounded our heads on the wall but it's too painful

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM

I started a similar thread just over here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/input-output-workflow/11626-improving-scanned-images.html Sort of curious about the same things.

My scans are generally REALLY dark coming from the scanner. Easy enough to fix but what I want is a more realistic match from negative to scanner to monitor. I don't seem to be getting that right now. The amount of adjusting that I have to do seems to me unreasonable. I expect to do some but it should be more tweaking rather than complete readjustments.

I am using a Canoscan 9950F on an iMac G5. Should be a good set up but I am getting less than excellent results. I do "practice" my scanning technique so there be something that I am missing but I also have in my head that it should be straight forward as well.

I will keep watching this thread and my own and hopefully some answers will crop up.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration