RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Here is a toughy!

Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Question Here is a toughy!

I was going through pictures and found this one. I thought I would see what all I was able to do. I scanned it a few different times to see what all I was able to get out of it before touching it with photoshop.

The texture issues I can fix, but the kids face, ears, and especially the nose are looking pretty hard to get out of this.

I can see that I will be able to get somethings out of it, but what is the next step?

I have checked the channels, blue and green are clearly the strongest. What would you take as the next few steps to getting this thing further along.

I do not want to waste the retouchpro.com server space so I just threw them on my own. There are 5 different scans of it, all adjusted at from the scanner levels or curves settings.

Here is the link. I have them as larger tif files but put jpgs online for now. Please note that I changed the T's in HTTP for X's so that search spiders could not grab the live link.

hXXp://www.fazools.com/retouchpro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (39.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (78.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Fazools; 10-05-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 05:04 PM

Don't worry about 'wasting' retouchpro space - it's what it's there for! This is a learning forum, so having the images here for the future for other users to look at and assess is part of the benefit. To be honest - the extra effort of copying your link, and having to edit it, will be enough to put some users off (like me!), not to mention not being able to see a preview.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM

Good Call. Done.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM

ok, this is all from the same image. confused me at first. frankly, i almost always prefer to just set the scanner at a basic scan with zero filters or enhancements or anything else. i'll do all that in psp. you also want a good resolution, usually 300 to 600 dpi and preferably in tif format. you already have tif, so that's good.

your different scans do show some interesting differences here. if you're really getting better enhancements directly off the scan, then you could try taking multiple scans at different filter settings, but at the same resolution. import them all into ps and overlay them in layers and do some blending and or adjustment layers to bring out more of the detail. that's the first step, bringing out the detail. you dont want to start cloning when you cant even see what's there yet

if you're getting better channels in one or more of the scans, then use those and do the same thing mentioned above.

once you've a good scan, combination of scans, channel or combination of channels and you've done what you can to bring out as much detail as possible, then it's good ole clone time or whatever other cleanup tools you use.

after that, you may or may not be able to bring out some final detail. sometimes things show up as you work.

then, you simply dress things up as needed and wanted. this could be frames, adding elements, subtracting things, cropping and so on.

there is no hard and fast rule i follow on all this. sometimes i do do clone work before finding detail, especially if there are large tears to repair or displace. sometimes if i know i dont care about parts of the image, i'll crop first. but generally, you find the detail, fix the mars and clean things up, then dress things up to be more presentable.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 PM

?

???
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 PM

A tough one, indeed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ToughOneBefore&After.jpg (96.3 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Klaatu

That’s just brilliant. Your version of Photoshop must be far advanced of ours on Omicron Persii 8.
Please send me a copy

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2005, 12:03 AM

Thanks much, Ken. Still not satisfied with the eyes and the face looks a bit flat. However, it's perhaps a good foundation to build on.

We have several versions of Photoshop (all perfectly terrestrial) on the same computer system including version 7, CS and CS2. However, we still love to use 7. Something about it is like an old comfortable easy-chair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 AM

I just started a couple of ideas. Don't have the skill set or patience of Klaatu but my thoughts are that this is a good looking lad, (in a Leave it to Beaver sort of way). He seems to have a very "lyrical" mouth and it seems to me that his eyes are slanted, teardropped and with his brow "hooding" the outside of the eye.

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-2 copy.jpg (78.9 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Retouched Image

Here is my interpretation of the image.

It was too far gone to try and reveal some details...
so i just went ahead and duped a young boy with the same features
and overlayed that onto this image to give a more accurate representation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restorations.jpg (16.4 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration