RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Lost Inscription

Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 PM

Lost Inscription

This may be more of a challenge question than a restoration one. I’m really not sure where it goes. I found the picture below in a flea market. I plan to restore an colorize it. But the problem is not with the picture. I can do what I plan with it (at least I think I can! )

The question involves the back of the picture. At one time there was writing on the back but for reasons I can’t imagine someone has tried to remove it and has done a pretty good job. The second scan is of what is left of the writing.

I’m looking for some CSI sort of trick that might get me enough detail to read it. I’ve played some with levels and curves and I think the first word starts with a C. It may be the name Casey or Cassy. And I think the first word in the last line is ‘friend”. But I could be wrong on both counts.

I figure if there is any hope of finding out what it said, this is the group that can do it.

Thanks!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl-optm.jpg (97.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg script.jpg (99.2 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 PM

I think an even better bet would be a forensic lab. The trick is in convincing one to work on it .

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 09:06 PM

I can't make out the first name (obviously a girl's name) but it looks like the rest of her name is "Stewart Cook"... Age 15 years. The top left word looks like "Cousin"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stewart-Cook.jpg (84.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg swampys-girl-optm.jpg (64.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 10-07-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 AM

Bill:

I wrote a Restoration tutorial entitled "Bringing Back the Detail of a Severely Faded Signature". I'm not sure what results you may get, but it may be worth a try.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:27 PM

bill,

is there any way you can get a higher resolution scan?

Quote:
And I think the first word in the last line is ‘friend”. But I could be wrong on both counts.
actually, it's 'friend of', and then who the friend of is.

nice, dee dee. not sure of the 'Stuart Cook', but could be. when i saw it i guessed that it was all one name, like 'Steivestant' or something. very hard to make out. but i could also see it as a shorter last name, like 'Stuart' and then a long dash and maybe a 'Jr.'. but that didnt make much sense for a girl's name.

and the top left word beginning with 'C' could be casey, or cassy, or chloe, or carrie, or corey, but it seems to not have any legs upward like a 't' nor any down like a 'y'. so, not sure there either. though, then the 'cousin' would make more sense.

ok, i just made another adjustment to my layers while writing this and i can now buy into the 'Stuart Cook' pretty well. i can make out the large S and the large C and the last letter looks pretty much like a 'k'. the 'uar' is kinda hard to make out, but sort of. the 'oo' is also pretty small and messed up, but again, very well could be.

there are three lines of writing. the top line is the name, seemingly. the second line is almost completely gone, except right at the end and seems to end in 'd', or 'ds' or 'd apostrophe s'. and the last line starts with 'Friend of' and may or may not go all the way across like the first two do.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:45 PM

Swampy, thanks!!! You got more than I could out of it. I agree that the first word is probably "Cousin". I think the first word on the next line may be "Mary" but I'm not at all sure of that. (that came from nothing high tech----I looked at it though a magnifying glass under a bright light ). Also liked your retouch job. My final result is at http://www.underonesky.org/orphan_ancestors.html if you are interested.

Alan, I tried your tutorial but I think the inscription is too damaged. Not only is the writing faded, what is there is largely smudged from the erasing. For the life of me I can't figure out why somebody did that. You can tell that the erasing recent. I don't know if the flea market person thought it would add to the value or were afraid to sell a photo with names or what.

Thanks again to both of you!

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Craig,

Sorry our postings must have crossed.

I agree with you that the word "friend'" is there. And I'm going with "cousin" as that first word for sure.

I can scan it at a higher resolution but posting it will reduce it again. Let me try scanning it again and putting it on my web page so I can get y'all higher detail. Give me a bit to do that .....

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Craig,

Try this, should be higher resolution that what I posted here yesterday.

http://www.underonesky.org/inscript.html

I think there are four lines in total. The first is the single word "cousin". The second ends in Cook. The third is very smudged and the last starts with "friend"

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM

I've hilighted in white the words I can make out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inscript-2-copy.jpg (84.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks for all your help! If I can figure out more I'll let you know

Bill
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration