RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What is this?

Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 PM

What is this?

I hate to ask two odd questions in one weekend but.....

What is on this poor child’s head??

Is this a hair bow or a hairstyle that has (thankfully) passed? I think it is a bow but I’m not sure. There seems to be a texture to it that could be hair. Obviously what it is I going to matter as I work with the picture and I just can' t decide. I’ve included the larger photo it came from as in case that helps. Clearly her sister has a bow but the color and texture leave me unsure thinking that since everything else is so matched so should this if it was a bow. But then I think no way can that be hair! Of course I have zero fashion sense.....

Thanks!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family2.jpg (98.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg family.jpg (98.6 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 08:50 PM

Bill,

That's a large bow. It looks as if it might be a plaid taffeta which would give the illusion of hair in this photo. I would expect it might be light tan with smaller red and green lines going through it. Good luck with your restoration.

The photo is probably from around 1920, based on the bows and other clothing.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 10:14 PM

i believe marylynn's got the right of it. and if i recall correctly, that's called a ribbon bow, made of strands of ribbon. large stuff like that, like you say, thankfully USED to be popular

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2005, 04:36 PM

MaryLynn & Craig--

Thanks. Your explanations help a lot. I think you are right Craig, it isn't one big ribbon, it is a lot of smaller ones. Thank God it wasn't hair----which, having been the father of a teenage girl myself, was probably her Papa's thought too

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 AM

hehehe, you're welcome.

just think, in 40 years what we're wearing now someone will look at those pics and go, 'thank god we dont have to wear that now!'

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM

I personally think a paisley nehru shirt, fringed leather vest and frayed bell bottoms, set of with a beaded headband remain the height of groovy. But that's just me.

Thankfully there were a few years where my family refused to take pictures

Leaving the world of fashion and getting back to photos, this one has been a bit of a challenge because of the discoloration. I read somewhere---I think it was the Photoshop User Magazine that this is the result of oxidization the silver used in the old photographic process. The suggestion was not to scan but to photograph with a digital camera. Probably good advice I should have taken.What I did was play with channels and then use a duotone color set to get back the original color. It worked with the blue color but not the texture problems associated with it. Then there was the oval of ----something---- I suspect from a frame or matting. The results I have so far are not bad just took a lot of time with the healing brush, patch too and blur tool. And some "Frankensteining" to get textures back.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 PM

With a shaggy beard and love beads? I'll put a flower in my hair!

Regarding the "silvering" check out a thread entitled "Blue Accident" for more explanation.

Also, I checked out your Orphaned Ancestors website. Great idea and very well done. Would you mind if I look some of those people up in my genealogy sites? I may find researchers looking for them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 08:58 AM

Yes to both the beard and the beads…..had a peace medallion too.

Thanks for your kind words about the site. I only put it up a couple of weeks ago. The fact is that there were not a lot of very old family photos that got down to me and in our family they are always well handled and worn. I have always liked the old pictures at antique stores and flea markets. And I have always wondered how they got disconnected from their families. Seems a shame. Cleaning them up and tinting them has been a great way to improve my Photoshop skills. However once they were finished I was not sure exactly what to do with them. So I figured if I put them on my web site there was the chance someone might know them and if not, at least more people could see them.

Take the picture that inspired this thread. Unfortunately there is nothing to identify the people in it but if that were your relative in that bow wouldn’t you want to have the picture? And it is the sort of picture that needs to be somewhere where more folks can enjoy it. It's taken awhile to clean it up but it has ben fun and I've learned from doing it. I’ll let you know when the finished version is posted to the website.

Thanks again!

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM

careful now or i'll bring out my tie-dyes

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration