RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What do y

Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 AM

What do y'all think?

Here is before and after of my nephew. The client asked for the red eye to be fixed and for her to be out of the picture. I did both of those things, and I have found this to be what appeals most to me.
Are there any *additional* corrections that should be made? I feel pretty happy to call my 'after' shot the finished product, but if I am overlooking anything, who better to let me know than other folks who like good pics :-)
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chad1.jpg (66.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg chad2.jpg (72.1 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by BriC; 10-10-2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Didn't include pics
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 10:06 AM

hi bric,

i think that if i were the client i'd be pleased. you did a nice job of cropping, red-eye removal and replacing the background. you kept the integrity of the image there and really brought the baby out!

at the risk of going past what's needed and wanted by the client, and going into nit-picking mode, i'd say the face could be just a tiny bit sharper, the outline of the head is just a tiny bit on the side of 'looks pasted in', and the contrast could be just a tiny bit more for a little punch.

i've atttached an image to show what i mean. it's about a 10 minute job to do the things i mentioned. i used a normal global sharpen twice and one light pass over the eyes with the sharpen brush. i ran a softness brush around the perimeter of the head where it's against the background and i added an adjustment layer of contrast/lighten at 0 lighten/13 contrast. i also did just a tiny bit of 'push' inside the eyes just to smooth up a couple pixels.

but like i say, this is in nit-pick mode, so disregard everything if the client likes what you did

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-crop-1-k-1.jpg (91.4 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Hi BriC

I agree 100% with Craig's "nit picking" mode. Except I would lighten the background a bit, it is too dark --in my monitor at least-- and mixes with the boy's suit.

But again as Craig said if the client and you are satisfied with your "after" result it is also good.

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 AM

thanks, guys... 'nitpick mode' is what i was lookin' for :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 AM

you're welcome

you really did a nice job. i like that gradient background just over his shoulders, btw. my rendition darkened that a bit and i forgot to correct for that. martha suggested a lighter background. i'm not against dark on dark, but it might give it a bit more punch to brighten that background up a bit.

hope the client likes it

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Awww thanks, Craig :-) It feels really good to be complimented by senior members :-) Especially since learning photoshop own your own and without any said teachers can leave one wondering how their skills are coming along.
I will brighten that background a bit... it was just hard for me to choose a background that looked 'formal'.
Again, you guys are wonderful!
-BriC
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 PM

you're welcome, bric

i dont know that i warrant the 'senior member' title. there are folks around here that are much better than me at all this. sort of makes you sound like you know something... 'senior member!' oooooh! but i am a senior and i am a member, so ok now, if i could just figure out a way to get paid...

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration