RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Husband knows nothing

Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Husband knows nothing

My Husband and I are kind of having a dicussion on some of these popular pharmaies (i don't want to mention) that are now doing photo restoration. He seems to think that when you send out a picture that needs to be stored (even with cracks that is badly damaged) that they have a machine that they will put the picture through and it will magically appear new again. I tried to tell him that that is impossible , esp. if the picture is really badly damaged. So i told him i would post the question on here and let you guys rip through him. IF he is right then why the heck are we wasting all this time the hard way.

Thanks for your time and comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 PM

Your husband is wrong of course - these places send the files to be repaired usually to the far east where they get them done for next to nothing.

There was a topic some time ago started by Vikki Hanson who took a photo in as a test. The results left a lot to be desired.
Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 PM

Back in the early 80's, I worked for a old time retoucher/restoration artist. She first had the original photographed in medium format. Next, she would retouch the negative and have prints made to size. She then would spot and finally airbrush the copy. I don't remenber if this was the final product or if it was photocopied again and a customer copy made or not.
Nowadayz, we use scanners more often than camaras to copy the damaged original. Or any oringinal for that matter. Anybody who would dare work directly on an original photo is quite insane ! Plus, what would one use to replace missing layers of paper, emulsion, silver or dye (depending on era)? Nope. It's just not possible to "FIX" the original.

Cinthia
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 AM

If someone could invent a machine like that, they would make a fortune.

I'd say in about ten to fifteen years-- we'll have extrapolation software which will pretty much be able to do that, given the progress of software in the last three years alone, but we don't have it yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM

Perhaps your husband has heard of Digital Ice, Digital ROC, and Digital SHO. These technologies are incorporated into some scanner software and claim to do a miraculous job of automatically restoring photographs. They don't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Perhaps your husband has heard of Digital Ice, Digital ROC, and Digital SHO. These technologies are incorporated into some scanner software and claim to do a miraculous job of automatically restoring photographs. They don't.
Well - from experience DigitalICE CAN do miraculous things - but that doesn't extend to fully restoring a photo.

There are plugins for photoshop around that claim to do some level of automated restoration (by manually selecting the damaged area), but having tried one out, out of curiosity, they are not very effective.

Last edited by Caitlin; 10-12-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Me too...

Yeah my husband came to me one day sounding very concerned that a local well known pharmacy was offering photo restoration and 2 for $30!! I told him I wasn't too worried about it because I doubt they take the time to really restore a photo. I know that purely relying on automated filters (while sometimes I wish I could) just doesn't give the results customers are looking for. Sometimes I even have to remind myself of that or a few visits to here reminds me. He was also very concerned about a large photo company commercial he saw that said basically people could do their own digital restoration... which they can... but not like some. I visited the website and showed him that it's not as detailed or well done as done by someone who does it for a hobby or living and a lot of people just don't even have the time. I get a lot of comments about the automated stuff or simple programs. Even when I told some of my friends the business I was starting, they said "Yeah but can't you do that with like that little program from such and such???" Funny, they had me fix their photos. Hmmmm. Oh and my mother in law said the same thing plus she said that there really isn't a market for that. Nice supportive people huh? HAHA. It's nice to see though someone else had pretty much the same discussion with their husband HAHA.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone, i love being right. He hasn't heard of any of those programs he just figured how nowa days the technolgy would allow that. I told him you guys would set him straight. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Perhaps your husband has heard of Digital Ice, Digital ROC, and Digital SHO.
I have Digital ROC and Digital SHO (Pro versions)-- and they sit unused.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM

i'm afraid that television and the movies are somewhat responsible for your husband's current view. we've all seen the crime shows, or cia shows, or hacker shows where they take a severely damaged or blurred image and restore it to mint condition through some sort of super-computer and/or super-program.... yeah, i wish. but even my cray 3 will only bring it back so far. the hal 9000 does a little better, but he's kinda cranky and quirky

Craig

Last edited by Craig Walters; 10-13-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration