RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Move tool not working with layers

Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Question Move tool not working with layers

I am trying to clone a large patch in my photo. I created a new layer and using the lasso tool selected the area I want to work on. I then want to use the move tool to the area I want to clone from but I get a message that the area is blank and am unable to use the move tool. Please help.

Param
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Patron

Cloning

Well if you are going to clone from a different layer its a good idea not to use the first layer which is usually the background layer. Its always a good idea to make a layer copy before you start anything. Look at your layer's palette and see if its named background and see if it has a padlock on it. If it does that layer is locked. A locked layer can't be moved. To unlock the background layer you need to double click that layer and it becomes layer 0.

To clone from one layer to another you need to select the clone tool and make sure that the sample all layers option is checked. The source for the cloning is identified by using the option/Alt key and clicking where you want to clone from. The pixels will be deposited in the active layer.

I don't know if this helps or not. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM

if you want to pull a large area from one part of an image and place it in another, select your area, but dont try to 'move' it. instead, do a 'control c' which will copy it to the clipboard. then use a 'control e' to put the clipboard piece back on the image as a new selection and then move that to where you want to paste it in.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM

I created a blank new layer. I did not copy or duplicate my background. I created my lasso selection in layer 1. I then try to use my move tool on layer 1 to a good area. I intend to switch then to background and copy and paste. I am however unable to use move tool on layer 1.

param.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 01:20 PM

I created a blank new layer. I did not copy or duplicate my background. I created my lasso selection in layer 1. I then try to use my move tool on layer 1 to a good area. I intend to switch then to background and copy and paste. I am however unable to use move tool on layer 1.

param.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM

The area I want to clone has blown highlights and is irregular in shape. Hence I want to select that area and move it to a good area to copy information from their but still get the shape right.

param.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
if you want to pull a large area from one part of an image and place it in another, select your area, but dont try to 'move' it. instead, do a 'control c' which will copy it to the clipboard. then use a 'control e' to put the clipboard piece back on the image as a new selection and then move that to where you want to paste it in.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 02:06 PM

what you're trying to do is more or less backwards. dont try to move the bad area. you want to clone over it, or paste over it to fix it. moving the bad area out will do nothing but leave a hole. understand that 'move' is a specific action that will pick up an area and leave a transparent hole where it was.

now, you could make a copy of the bad area. select it, hit control c to put a copy in the clipboard, then move to or create a new layer and control e to put it on that layer. that would work, but you're then going to have to pick it back up again once fixed and put it back on the original layer. that's a lot of extra steps. but, it would work.

the easier way is to leave the bad area in place. dont try to move it. just fix it where it is by using clone or by pasting selections onto the bad area.

what program are you using and do you know how to use the clone tool?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM

Hi,

If I understand correctly you have a blank layer. If you have selected clone tool and the new blank layer is highlighted indicating it is the one you are working in the problems is that the layer is empty. There is noting in the layer so the clone brush cannot sample a source because there are no pixels there. It is like looking through clear glass. As Phil suggested you need to turn on sample all layers. Or if you want to move a large section into a new layer, select the area you want, copy it and press control V to past it into a new layer that will contain only your selection.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalithaparam
The area I want to clone has blown highlights and is irregular in shape. Hence I want to select that area and move it to a good area to copy information from their but still get the shape right.
Use the patch tool instead. It works the way you described.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration