RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Rusty Mold

Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
I sometimes will use a piece of clothing or accessory like a shoe if I know it's an exact match but I won't use eyeballs, mouths, etc. because a slight change to any of those can make a person look completely different. I think you did a great job finding one in the same position. That hardly ever happens for me. There's always something to make an image unusable or a pain in the you know what. LOL
I was lucky that pinstripe suits are still popular. The pain was a little higher up the back, but still a pain.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L135206.jpg (42.3 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Hi everyone. Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately Craig I don't have access to the original photo, I was only working with the photo that was posted on the Rootschat forum. Here's a link to the whole image so you can see the extent of the problem. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...;id=9466;image We have a resident conservator at RootsChat, I will have a talk with her and see what she suggests.

Pierre, I was also looking at the option of using a new pinstripe jacket but I didn't look too hard, as all I could find on the net was too small. I guess this is one of those times you need to take the digital camera down to the shopping mall and wonder into the menswear department, try on a coat in a changing room and take a picture of yourself in the mirror while trying to sit in the same position as the photo. I don't think I'm at that stage yet. I don’t think getting the new suit to age would be too difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Had a bit of spare time today, so had a quick play around with this. Really didn't do much more than a levels adj on the faded patch, then a bit of patching and cloning.

Don't know how far you wanted to take this, so didn't try to make it look like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusty copy.jpg (89.1 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Hi Gary,
You seem to have attacked this problem the same as me. I desaturated the image and the used a soft brush with a reduced opacity to paint a mask over the worst stains. I then adjusted the levels, but I don’t think it is a final solution. I think it maybe a case of raw talent that will resurrect this puppy and I know I’m not there yet. It can be done, I have seen before and after examples of similar damaged photos and I would love to get to that level of experience. Practice makes perfect as the saying goes.

Ants
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 PM

Hi Ants,

I think this one's going to be difficult to get an "as new" finish. I did'nt see the link to the whole image till after I'd worked on the cropped version.

I'm a bit strapped for time at the moment, but will have a go with it if I get any free time.
If I get anything that looks presentable I'll post here.

Good luck with your own efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Hi Ants,
Good luck with your own efforts.

Thnks Gary, I'll need more than luck with this photo.

Ants
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration