RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Rusty Mold

Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 PM

Rusty Mold

Hi Everyone,
Here's an image I fooled around with all yersterday and my results were frankly...Crappy so I thought I would share my pain. I'm open to suggertions.

Here's the link to my effort. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...;id=9475;image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusty.jpg (69.1 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 PM

Hi, first step I think is to darken the lighter yellow areas so as to keep the detail in the original and to more easily see what the original looks like while doing the art work. What I did;

-Did menu Select>ColorRange used drop down to select yellows
-New curve layer from selection and darken with the curves layer
-duplicated curves layer
-Added black solid color adjustment layer in color blend mode to see it in black & white.

Hope this helps,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowmold.jpg (84.7 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks Roger, I really should have explained a bit more. It's the staining which is causing the contrasting shades that is the big problem. I can get everything to the right colour tone but it still looks stained and splotchy.

I guess I asking can this be repaird so it doesn't look to contrived, if you get my drift.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:17 AM

I am not sure I understand, the one you did has some areas of the suit with detail and some with areas that appear blurry withut the detail that is in the original. So I though maybe you might have jumped into cloning before evening out the brightnesss as much as possible.

Yes, it can be repaired so it doesn't feel contrived. But it is a lot of careful work. If I am missing your question feel free to give it again.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadants
I can get everything to the right colour tone but it still looks stained and splotchy.
Do you mean brightness? Making everything the same color will only make the splotchiness easier to see for purposes of retouching - it won't hide the splotchiness, which comes from variations in brightness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 AM

Thanks roger, I see what your getting at now. I tried the select color and gave up on that approach and finally I just deaturated the thing and then tried to clone stamp it to a half decent conclusion, but this disn't get the result I was after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 AM

boy, you do find the doozies, deadants. good to see you again!

i'm going to suggest something i dont normally, since i love restoring digitally. but, if you have access to the original print you might try getting someone or something to remove some of the actual mold here first. i dont think you need a full analog restoration, just something to remove some of the heavier areas with the idea of being able to see beneath all that crud a bit more. i dont know, though; it may just take the image with it. so, a consultation with a conservator first might be a good idea.

i worked on this a bit and it's going to be a long haul to do this up right. i tried it both by just starting to clone with no other actions and by running a desaturation on it first. it was somewhat a toss-up but with a slightly better working area by desaturating first.

i dont think you're going to find too many shortcuts here. and you just had to find a pinstriped suit... lol. that's going to make it all the more fun since you have to restore the pinstriping. add to that that the suit doesnt lay down flat against the body and has lots of little shadowed areas and you're in for a nice bit of tricky cloning.

now, i know there are others here that would simply replace the suit with another image. i dont like that particular method since this is a restore. i want to restore what's there. but, because the damage is so extensive, you can get away with some creative reconstruction.

the splotchiness comes from cloning. i started above his left arm where the suit was still pretty intact and worked upwards but you run into the old clone of a clone of a clone syndrome where each new clone is slightly less sharp as the last one. thus, it's hard to maintain the texture. you've also got the problem that the lines of the pinstriping tend to curve a bit so no easy straight lines to clone.

i'm going to try something with this that i dont normally do, but i'll have to get back to you on it. gotta run for now.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 11:05 AM

I don't have the skill or the time to make something realistic with the clone tool, so I used another pinstripe suit.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusty-panpan1.jpg (99.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:53 PM

hehe, ah, so you're one of those, pierre! hehe, good job i personally dont like doing that, but i can certainly see some advantages. and ya know, you gave me an idea too. it might be interesting to take what you did and do some blending modes against the original picture and see what could be done that way.

it is a nice job

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM

I sometimes will use a piece of clothing or accessory like a shoe if I know it's an exact match but I won't use eyeballs, mouths, etc. because a slight change to any of those can make a person look completely different. I think you did a great job finding one in the same position. That hardly ever happens for me. There's always something to make an image unusable or a pain in the you know what. LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration