RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Make an image clearer

Old 10-27-2005, 04:29 AM

Make an image clearer

I need to know techniques / suggestions about how to make the tallest girl in this picture easier to see and not so washed out?

Thank you,
Sylvia Morris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Sisters.jpg (77.1 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Patron

Lots of variation

This is interesting since so many areas of the photo have different light values and contrast.
The first thing I did was to copy the background layer.

Next a levels adjustment layer (in photoshop). I increased the contrast and darkened the back ground. I used an aggressive levels adjustment and then I used a black brush on the bottom right corner of the mask to screen out the lower right foreground.

Then I made another levels adjustment layer and just focused on the sister's face to our right. I masked out just about everything else.

Since the legs were too dark and contrasty I then put a third adjustment layer (curves adjustment layer) and lightened the legs and decreased the contrast of the legs.

Then I merged visible layers to its own layer.

I sharpened the faces by copying the merged layer and running a high pass filter with an overlay blending mode. I masked all but the sisters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (39.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 4.2Sisters.jpg (66.1 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 12:10 PM

I tried a fast simple technique that i got from Katrin Eismann's Book.

1. Duplicate layer
2.Add a curve adj layer (multiply)
3.On mask select gradient tool(black to transparent) drag from bottom lower left corner to about the shoulder of the women on the right.
4.duplicate that layer and lower opacity to about 30% or so
5.then i used the dodge and burn tools on the rest of the image.

I hope that helps! Its a good start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (95.9 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 02:29 PM

nice picture.

i ran several things here:

dupe background
on dupe, digi camera noise removal @ about 70/10/5 70/10
masked the taller woman, brightness/contrast @ about -30/20
lighten/darken brush on just the selected woman for touch-ups.
smudge/clone/smooth brushes to get faces right with just a minor simple brush on small areas
contrast/lighten adjustment layer globally.
cropped the original picture way down. too much dead space at the top.
selected out the 'three sisters' writing and made a new image of it.
reduced this image to 60% of original
pasted this reduced image back in in white sky area.

done.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three-sisters-2-k-1.jpg (94.9 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 11:48 PM

I'm impressed

I'm so impressed with what each of you did with this picture and my head is spinning. This is an incredible community of people but I am so overwhelmed with trying to learn some of the Photoshop techniques and concepts. I really feel like I need a hands-on class to build a foundation that would help me get up to speed with the software. It's amazing but I'm having a hard time getting my head around some of the concepts. I watch for classes at all the community colleges and tech schools but have found nothing. I found a site recommended by Retouch Pros called My Janie.com but I think I need a touchable person nearby instead of an online class. Thank you for your help.

Sylvia Morris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Patron

How to learn

Well one thing about photoshop is that very few people know all that one can do with this application. I would recommend you start with a very basic book and start there. Post questions on this board and you will get answers. This is a great place to learn and I am sure that you will feel at home here. Most everybody here is in a learning mode at some level.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Learning

You're so right. This board is a great group of people. I've actually got 3 books, SAMS Teach Yourself Photoshop 7 in 24 Hours, Que How to Use Photoshop 7, and Photoshop 7 Digital Darkroom by Lisa A. Bucki. I frequently cross reference because one explanation of a technique may be easier for me to understand in one over the other. But I tend to be a classroom learner better than an independant learner which is why it is so hard for me. But this board is a great group of people.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 09:56 AM

Phil:Can you expound on this process please. You said..( I used a black brush on the bottom right corner of the mask to screen out the lower right foreground.Then I made another levels adjustment layer and just focused on the sister's face to our right. I masked out just about everything else.)

I did not see where you listed in your explaination to add a mask?? How did you use a black brush? Now when we click on levels adjustment, does it automaticicaly make a new layer? How did you then mask out everything else?

I know these sound like dumb questions but I am still so new. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Patron

Masking

Well NebGranny, the picture was interesting in that the top left of it was fairly bright with low contrast and the ladies' legs on the bottom right were dark. So to fix the picture some parts needed to be adjusted different from others. Double click the picture I posted on the left that sort of shows what I did. I used three adjustment layers. Two levels and one Curves. When you make an adjustment layer it comes with a mask. So after making an adjustment you can select what you want to be affected by how much of the mask is white.

The first set of levels adjustment layer I worked on most of the picture except for the right foreground. I painted the the lower right corner of the mask (box on the right on the layer) black. On the next levels adjustment layer I had the mask all black but for the faces. And the third adjustment layer was to work on ladie's legs I decreased the contrast and lightened up the legs some.

The picture I posted on the left is a "screen picture" which shows how I stacked the levels.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration