RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

guilt?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 PM

guilt?

just wondering-

do you ever feel guilty making people look way better on print than they actually do in real life? i do.

i had a client who was sending her daughter to an international debutantes ball in NYC. the girl was attractive, but heavy and obviously unenthused about the whole deal. she didnt care about the ball.. but mom was ultra fashionable, lots of make up, etc.

so mom asked me to do some major reconstruction- body shaping, fat reduction, etc.

when she saw the results she just said "wonderful! i'm sure my daughter will love the way you made her look!"

..and im left thinking- "no, she probably wont! it may even sadden her!"

?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 03:03 PM

I thought about that once. I do mostly restoration and haven't really done too much in the way of retouching, but I always wondered, the clients who need them done to send them off for a contest, etc. What is it like when they see them for real? I understand that for models in a mag, etc. you would need retouching, but I don't see how it can be that beneficial any other way unless someone wants to look thinner in a photo for motivational reasons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Perfection?

Yes I know what you are saying. Who is it one who decides what is perfect anyway?

I think that for fashion images they are more like art and therefore I feel ok with retouching models. I am not so sure how I would feel about retouching images of children for pagents and people for beauty contests.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 05:19 PM

I will speak from the other side of the issue, as one who has never been happy with my photos. Maybe I have a fairy tale image of how I look, and that darned camera just never captures it! <grin> A little smoothing here, some highlights and shadows there, and voila! Yes, that's how I really look! If it boosts someone's spirits, I see no harm.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
If it boosts someone's spirits, I see no harm.
Exactly, but... as long as it isn't to intentionally deceive someone or something like a contest. Especially if the daughter didn't want it done or didn't even know. I know I would feel awful if my mother showed me a picture completely retouched in that kind of situation. I would feel like she was ashamed of me. Models are different because you are right, it's just a form of art but they all get it done. It would be different if only certain models had retouching done and then got all the work because of it.

I'm apologize if I seem to be rambling. I know what I'm trying to say but kinda side tracked so I may not be making the best of sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I would feel like she was ashamed of me.
I see what you're saying, and I didn't mean to make light of it. Yes, I've faced a situation similar to that, when I retouched a photo of someone I care about, who happens to be overweight but very pretty. I was torn between shaving off a few pounds and boosting her ego and thinking she might be insulted if she sensed that I thought I had "improved" on her looks. Now I'm rambling, but yes, it can be a tough call.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 01:39 AM

I had a client once who wanted his pic fixed for a dating website and, even though I did it, I advised him that when he met his respondents they'd certainly realise he was far different than what he posted online and to mind himself well there--for his sake and for theirs.

I haven't done it since and I did feel a wee twinge.

I prefer to photedit with montage effects, diffuse glow, softening effects and porcelain filters. They are all quite forgiving, but I tend to work on family members and we are aware of each other's appearances.

I did do a spoof for a friend as she was getting "married" to a famous sporting star, just for a lark. I doubt it was worthy of note nor would it pass the credulity test.

On a serious note, I HAVE got rid of spots on the faces of teen girls who want a better photo and have felt not a scrap of guilt over it.

Maureen

PS: I also seriously sepia toned a partial (quite tasteful( nude of myself for a CD cover insert, and cropped at my nose level, leaving the identifying eyes off, if that counts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 05:36 AM

I've done a lot of fashion retouching and also a good bit for some of the men's magazines. Believe me, there are very few models out there like Tyra Banks, who needs very little digital help at all, and their salaries reflect it. It's a lot cheaper to hire a second or third string model with a few zits, acne scars, wrinkles and bulges here and there, and pay a retoucher to do the make-over. So in those situations, I've felt very good about making them look better than they really are because my job depended on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 08:39 AM

i know what you're talking about, cisco. i did a retouch of a woman once where i thought she'd look a bit better by losing a few pounds in the retouch. so, i did it, but at the same time i recall being fairly careful about it as i didnt want to embarrass or insult her by having the retouch say 'you look fat!'. but, that is sort of what you're saying any time you alter an image in that maner to 'make it look better'. you're saying with your work, 'something's wrong with how you look' and nobody really wants to hear that, not verbally and not through a picture.

on the other hand, some folks want you to do this, as shown by some of the others posting here. and in those cases, if it's them making that origination, that request, i wouldnt mind nearly as much because then it's not me 'insulting' them. whenever you're dealing with 'ego shots' there's always going to be a risk of insult and injury to pride and self esteem and so on. most folks dont mind losing the acne or wrinkles and minor things like that. but women and men can get a bit touchy about weight or hooked noses and features over and above surface features.

and, if you do do such things as photographic weight loss, you can always claim that 'the camera adds ten pounds' and that you're just correcting for this

partial nudes, maureen? i want pictures!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Smile

I wouldn't feel guilty over anything a client requests to have done.

The bottom line is, when I do a job I am being paid to do a job-- what the client does with the photo in the end, is none of my business, whether it is personal use, a profile picture, or a contest photo.

My involvement starts when the photo is submitted to me and ends at payment, whatever the client does with it outside of that start and end is their business alone, and any guilt of misuse is entirely on them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration