RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Copying an ear from one photo to the next

Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM

I would like to copy an ear from my aunt and put it on my mother. Can someone please give me the basic steps on how to accomplish this task. Thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren
I would like to copy an ear from my aunt and put it on my mother. Can someone please give me the basic steps on how to accomplish this task. Thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Gerald, I did it on one photo for a fellow whose ear was covered up by hair, so I found an ear I fancied on my brother-in-laws head, took a photo of it, then masked it.

From there, I copied and pasted it onto the fellow's head and adjusted it properly for colour, size and texture and he was a happy fellow indeed.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 AM

I'm a beginner in photoshop and I don't have a clue what you are saying. You didn't explain in detail how it was done. As an experience photoshop user, I know it is sometimes difficult to explain a task to a beginner. I found out that most of the time a beginner would asked a question, and the answer(s) that were given is so complicated, consequently, we usually have to ask for more detail. Usually, the person giving the answer is speaking to someone on their level, that's the reason we beginners are having a hard time understanding most of the answer that we receive.

Maureen, I really appreciated your answer, thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 AM

Hi Gerald, if you post the pictures you want to use, then members will be able to have a go with them, and then they'll be able to give you a break down of how they achieved their results.

It's hard to give an exact description without images, as each image may take slightly different methods to achieve a realistic result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 AM

Okay Gary, I'll try and do that as soon as I completed the cloning of the missing pieces of this photo. Thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 AM

Copying an ear from one photo to another

I will be basic since I don't know which program you are using. Open both photos, duplicate as usual. On the ear you want to use, make that active and lasso or select the ear, using a feather of at least two. Go to edit > copy. Now, make the other picture active and go to Edit >paste as new layer. You will see the ear somewhere on the picture. Use your Move tool and put it wherever you want. Use your pick or deform tool, depending on the program you are using and size it to fit. You can tilt it or whatever you need.
When you are satisfied, go to layers and merge. You can shade it to match as needed. If the ear was facing the wrong way, you can also mirror it before you resize it. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Ear

Gerald

Here is a simple step by step.

I will assume you have either PS 6,7,or 8. In all cases the lasso tool is the same. First you need to have both images on the Photoshop work area. Put the photo that you want to take the ear from and click on it and that will bring it to the front. Go over to the tool bar and select the magnetic lasso. With the bottom tip of the lasso draw around the outside of the ear. When you connect the ends, click at the point of connection and the line will start to move like moving ants. You have now selected the subject. Now go up to Select, drag down and click on feather. Give it a feather of 1 or two. This will slightly blur the edges of the ear to make it look more realistic when you apply it to the end subject. With the marching ants still moving, go up to Edit, scroll down to copy and click. Now click on the photo that you want to send the ear to and bring it to the front. Go up to Edit, scroll down and click on Paste. The ear will appear somewhere in the image and will create a separate layer. Make sure the layers bar is on the screen by going up to Window, scrolling down and clicking on Layers. Unless the two photos are the same size, most likely the ear will be too big or too small. To bring the ear to the desirable size, hit the M key and draw a square around the ear. This will appear as a box with marching ants. Right click on the ear, scroll down and click on Free Transform. This will change the box into the ability to reduce or enlarge the ear by dragging the sides and corners. While in this mode you can put your cursor in the middle of the ear and drag it into position. You can also flip the ear from side to side by right clicking on the box again, scrolling down to Flip Horizontal or Vertical. After you have the ear in position and the correct size hit enter and the adjustment box will go away, but you will still have the marching ants. Just hit the M button again and click your cursor on the out side of the box and it will disappear. If you need to change the color or brightness of the ear, click and highlight the ear layer, go up to Layer, scroll down to Adjustment Layer and select what ever you need to make the adjustments. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration