RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

picture from @ 1900

Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 PM

Lots of possibilities

I sort of went overboard here--all in the interest of learning and fun. :-) There was a little bit of many things, but here are some general ideas and the approximate order I did them in:

1. Clone and scratch remove the serious white splotches and scratches. Some of those peoples faces are cloned from elsewhere--maybe overboard for a historical picture.
2. Selected the tent with magic wand and clone-brushed on the tent to get rid of that stain.
3. Noise reduce in selective areas (basically everywhere except the trees)
4. Create a mask for the sky and replaced the sky with something better looking--the white sky makes the picture sort of glary I think (this is probably overboard for a historical photo--if so, then leave this step out.)
5. Kept the handwriting at the top on a separate layer so I could ensure it got preserved--I actually enhanced it a bit.
5. Restored the center-tent pole--low contrast caused it to disappear when I replaced the sky.
6. A bit more blemish and scratch-removing here and there.
7. Selective clarify filter (this might be a PSP only feature--I'm not sure) on the washed-out parts of the trees.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st-Campmeeting_tweak.jpg (92.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by bart_hickman; 11-14-2005 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Left something out
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 AM

Wow! Lots of good input!

Wow! Lots of good input....... Now to try some of this with my very elementary skills! Bart, I love how you brought out the washed-out trees and managed to better reveal the tent poles. I've been wondering what to do about those trees. Thank you! I will definitely post my end results when I get there so you all can see how I do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Can't seem to get it

Bart,

I really liked what you did with the tent poles but I haven't been able to achieve that so I ended up cloning the one pole that I could see in order to replace the pole that had completely disappeared. However, it doesn't look as nice as what you did. I like the way you did the sky except I would probably prefer it be a little lighter. I tried selecting the sky with the magic wand and chose contiguous but again I wasn't able to accomplish anywhere close to what you accomplished. It appears that you may have rendered clouds. Can you give me a little more detail about what you did on these 2 steps?

Thanks,
Sylvia Morris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks Sylvia!

This is an area where Paintshop Pro (what I used) has some tricky differences from Photoshop. I'll translate as best I can.

For the pole, I just made a rectangular selection and then feathered the selection by 3 pixels in Paintshop (which is 1.5 pixels in Photoshop).

In Paintshop, you'd then do "Selections->Promote Selections to Layer" which puts this feathered selection on a layer by itself. In Photoshop, you do "Layer->New->Layer via copy".

Now you can apply a curve to this new layer to darken the pole. The curve I used looks like the first picture below--the dialog box is essentially the same in both tools. That's how I did the pole.

I'm running out of time at the moment, but for the sky, I'll just say I used a mask derived from a rough selection of the sky area in the photo and then applied that mask to the new sky. Then I applied a curve to that mask and adjusted it so the right amount of sky was showing through while still preserving the non-sky things (primarily the trees). Once you have the mask set up, you can drop in any sky you want. This step was what killed that center pole--so I actually restored the pole AFTER replacing the sky. I'll be back with a better explanation on the sky.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curve_dialog.jpg (19.2 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Step by Step

Okay, I think I've got to get the elementary step by step instructions because my interpretation of your instructions may not be quite right. I'm using the Rectangular Marquee Tool and drawing a rectangle around the tent pole. At this point, do I go to Select> Feather> and put 1.5 pixels?? Then I choose Layer >New >Layer via Copy?? When I do that, the rectangle I've drawn around the pole disappears. Is it suppose to do that? And all I have is a blank, transparent layer??

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 PM

So you correctly selected the pole (see the first attachment). Then feathered the selection with a 1.5pixel radius (also sounded correct.) Then created the new layer. If you turn off the bottom layer, you'll see the feathered pole sitting all by itself on your new layer (should look like the 2nd attachment.) Turn the bottom layer back on, but select the new layer. Then select "Image->adjustments->curves" and adjust the curve to make the pole darker. (see the 3rd attachment.)

Incidentally, there's nothing magical about the 1.5 pixel radius--some other choice might look better.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step1_select.jpg (58.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg step2_newlayer.jpg (89.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg step3_darken.jpg (70.4 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 AM

Replacing the sky

The method I used to replace the sky involves a mask based on the image itself. I think knowing how to make and use image-based masks is one of the most useful things you can learn. Here's a link to a basic tutorial in case you're not familiar with it:
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/AdvancedMasking.mov

So the first thing I did was roughly select the sky (although I was a bit more careful along the tent edge because it's close to the same color as the sky.) The rough selection looked like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret..._selection.jpg

Then I created an initial mask based on the luminance of that selection. It looks like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...itial_mask.jpg

Black is opaque, white is transparent, and grey is in-between. The eventual intent is for this mask to be applied to my new sky. Since both the sky and trees are still grey in this mask, the new sky will partially show through both the trees and old sky. I want the trees to completely block the new sky and the old sky to completely disappear and let the new sky show through. So I apply a curve to this mask to enhance the contrast. It now looks like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...with_curve.jpg

It's pretty clear how this mask will work--the black will block the new sky (thus making the original image visible) and the white will be where the new sky shows. Here's what the new sky looks like:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...p4_new_sky.jpg

Here's how it looks after the mask is applied to it:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...sky_masked.jpg

Now turn on the original image under the masked sky and you're just about done:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...d_original.jpg

I apply my repaired tent pole and enhanced handwriting:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...nd_writing.jpg

Viola! Well, not quite. I'm leaving out some brightness adjustments here and there I did to the sky, but that's a separate topic. I showed these steps because it shows what the mask looks like and how it behaves and I'm not sure what level you're at with masks. However, when I actually did it, I applied the initial mask to the sky and had the original image turned on underneath that first. THEN I adjusted the curve on the mask so I could see my final result changing in real time.

The new sky is actually the easy part (just takes a few minutes). The cloning and scratch-removing is actually far more time-consuming. The cool thing here is once you have the mask, you can drop in another sky almost instantly. Here's a color sky for fun:
http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/Ret...ferent_sky.jpg

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 PM

Background image

I'm trying to absorb the Russel Brown tutorial. Wow! Now that's the way to make a mask! Right now, I'm stuck trying to understand where both you and he came up with your replacement background. Did you have an image of a nice sky background that you applied. To me it sounds like you're working with 2 different pictures and then merging them into one via layers and masks. If I'm understanding that correctly, then where to I find a nice replacement image to merge with my image?

Thanks,
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 11:59 PM

Merge?

And how do I merge them??
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 AM

I have my Casio Z750 with me at all times, so if I see a good looking sky, I'll take a picture of it (I believe the sky for your photo came from the parking lot at Home Depot :-)

As for merging, did you see step 3 in my previous post? That was a picture of a mask. It was generated using the same trickery you see in the Russel Brown tutorial. Then you apply that mask to the replacement sky to get the picture in step 5. Then you put the original image on a layer under all that (that's where the merging happens.)

I attached a little picture of how the layer palette will look in PS (I used PSP, but the technique is the same.) Layer 1 has the sky with the mask applied to it. Layer 3 is the original.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psd_explain.jpg (14.6 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration