RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

picture from @ 1900

Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM

2 pictures

I knew my question was a little unclear. Let me try again. How do I get a completely different picture transplanted into a layer pallet of the primary picture I'm working on? Before I can do any of that merging shown in the Russel Brown Tutorial, I have to get the second picture somehow transplanted into the layer pallet. I'm still not sure if my question will make sense to anyone but me......

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 09:21 PM

In photoshop you just open your 1900 image and the cloud image in photoshop, do select all on the cloud image, copy the cloud image, then go to the 1900 image and paste. This will automagically put the cloud image onto another layer (and you'll see it show up in your layers palette.)

It sounds like you need to learn about working with layers--that's even more foundational than masks (which is actually a pretty advanced topic.) I'm sure Photoshop has a great tutorial built into it on using layers (I must confess I'm not really a photoshop expert--I moved over to paintshop pro a few years ago although I make a point of downloading the 30 day trial version of photoshop everytime it gets updated just to see if there's something new I can't live without.)

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Stuck

I'm stuck again. I found a jpeg picture of clouds on the Internet and followed the steps but it's not working for me. After I select all and Copy, I go to my other image and choose Paste but this is where things aren't working right. It seems to paste the image right inside the picture and it creates a transparent layer in my layer pallette but sometimes after I selected Paste, it seemed to just put a transparent layer in my layer pallette and I didn't see the picture itself anywhere.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 03:29 PM

It really sounds like you need a tutorial on layers in Photoshop. Layers is a huge topic and any good tutorial would probably take an hour or more to be useful, but it'll be worth it.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Sylvia

These may help.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=27

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=166

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=63

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Here's a link to a basic tutorial about layers I saw referenced in a thread in the tutorial section. I'm also pretty sure there's something in the photoshop online help. After you learn about layers in general, then you'll want to learn about adjustment layers, and THEN mask layers. To have a complete picture, you'll also want to learn about layer groups and applying masks to layer groups.

Here's your first step which covers the basics of layers, layer blending, and layer linking:
http://www.sketchpad.net/psdlayer1.htm

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration