RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

blotchy family portrait - how to start?

Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 PM

bart,

the polaroid d&s is polaroid's dust and scratch removal software. you can find it on the polaroid web site. dont have the current address, but a google will get you there.

it's free and can be used as a stand-alone or a plugin. the stand-alone has more features but with a decent paint program you dont need them and the plugin is faster and has a better preview system.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 04:03 PM

I have bee trying to calibrate my monitor. I have always had trouble because getting the black point right meant that the whites were hurting my eyes.
I have now adjusted the curves on my graphics card settings and now I can see all the steps in the Retouch Pro logo. The trouble is now that everything on the screen looks a bit flat. (Low Contrast)

A lot of my posts here now look a bit overexposed. My first post in this thread looks very patchy.

I did this picture another way and used Panpan’s idea to add noise. Which I think helps to make it look sharper.

This picture now looks as dark as the first one before I adjusted my monitor

Maybe someone who has a calibrated monitor could let me know which one looks best.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Sherrell-RETOUCH3.jpg (97.4 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Patron

CameraKen's Photos

Well I do have a calibrated, very old monitor but its quite apparent to me that your second post is much better than your first one. You did a really nice job on a very difficult photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 07:02 PM

Thanks Phil.

I was afraid that would be the case. It looks like I’ve been posting Overexposed pictures for the past few months. My entry to the Nov Contest now looks way overexposed.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 10:26 PM

Oh, my goodness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
I did this picture another way and used Panpan’s idea to add noise. Which I think helps to make it look sharper. Ken
Everyone - thanks so much for the overwhelming response to my problem with this photo. I'm only beginning to work seriously at photo restoration and the whole "layer" thing is confusing for a beginner to grasp. I hardly know how to respond intelligently to the various posts, except to say a hearty "Thank You" for all your efforts and suggestions...most of which are 'way beyond my ability to understand at this point.

Ken, of all the efforts, I really like this one the very best.

I will have to study everyone's comments and suggestions and try to figure out how to approach this project.

Rod Murrow
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM

ken,

your second one is of a much better quality. it's also quite a bit darker. the first is lighter and more near the original in luminosity, but is also blotchy in the lighter areas... at least on my monitor. the second is quite natural looking and no blotchiness, just darker.

this actually raises a question i've had with my own computer/monitor and you've got me wondering again about my own rig and posts. i've done the online calibrations and it comes up pretty close on these, but i'm wondering if there isnt a better, more reliable way to do this. it might be interesting to figure out a better way to ensure that we're all seeing the same thing when we look at a picture. i have two computers at home, quite different and both hooked up to the internet. i might have to run some comparisons between the two and see what comes up.

perhaps we at RP could rig up a better calibration system to ensure we're all viewing images exactly the same.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks Craig.

It looks like I’m now seeing something similar to Rod. Phil and Yourself. I couldn’t see the separation between the last 2 blacks in the RP Logo
My monitor now looks too bright but I guess it must now be closer to yours. (I need Sunglasses)

This afternoon I ordered a Colorvision ColorPlus. It’s not a Spyder2 Pro but hopefully it will help. I spent a long time on the Nov comp and it now looks way too bright.

It does show how important it is that we are all seeing the same. So if you can think of some method of us all to test this then that would be great.

Rod.
I did the second picture using replace colour. Do you want the steps?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Rod.
I did the second picture using replace colour. Do you want the steps?

Ken
Ken; I sent you a private message yesterday - did you not get it? I'm happy to "give it a go" and would love to see the steps necessary...but my "gut" tells me that I'm in 'way over my head with this. What are your thought about my message to you?

You folks are all "wizards" at this and I need to practice, practice, practice! I'm a musician - I should know that an artist has to practice! (I am also taking a beginning Spanish class...which requires practice, practice, practice!!).

Thanks, Rod
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration