RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Technique for the "Closer" (movie) poster?

Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Technique for the "Closer" (movie) poster?

This is my first post, so I´ll start by introducing myself . I´m Regina from southern Brazil and I simply LOVE Retouch PRO, where I can always find answers to my retouch and restoration questions, and I hope you can help me one more time.
I´ve been looking for days for a tutorial explaining how to achieve the effect used on the actors faces in the movie poster: http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/closer/index.html .
I would first describe it as a porcelain-like skin, but it is actually more textured, I think, and this is the effect I´m after.
Anyone able to help here? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 03:51 PM

hello

Try these two posts:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/11842-how-get-highly-polished-skin.html
How to get highly polished skin

and also read the post on "orange peel" skin

Both in this section.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Shelby is right, but in addition to those effects the skins in that poster all have the same hue.

I used gmitchel's high key glow 1, a cooling filter and a pink layer on hue mode.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oscars0506-original.jpg (98.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg oscars0506-panpan1.jpg (99.9 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks Shellby, Pierre and Sarbeka. I tried your suggestions and also the ideas on this thread and my results were just OK, I guess I´ll have to keep on practising...

Sarbeka, I didn't see the link to the page you mentioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 12:04 PM

sorry !! it was not attached .

sarbeka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (96.6 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Regina! Welcome to RetouchPRO
(...ou, melhor, olá Gaucha!)

Besides what has already been said about the smooth skn texture, I'd like to call attention to the eyes.

In any portrait the eyes have a very big effect, and in this one they have been pretty heavily 'shopped. The (extreme) blue eye of the second figure just keep dragging your gaze away from the rest - and pretty much sets the "mood" of the image.

If they had left a more realistic eye, I think the everall effect would have been much weaker.

Welcome too, sarbeka Seems like you deleted your suggestion along with the post - could you re-submit?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Hi, the easiest way to get the quality which Regina asked for is 1st.to get the bruch tool B and click on the lightest area of the face 2nd.put in the MODE window on the toolbars to LUMONOSITY,3rd. put in the OPACITY window like a number that u can see its the best for your picture the same in the FLOW window and pass over the face by changing the brush size as the place needs to, this is what i have done . (when i am colouring B&w pictures,i put color in place of luminosity and get coulours from the pantone and toyo colours ).

sarebka
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 AM

Looking at the Sony Link this pic seems to have a flat, almost painted look, so after mucking around a little, I added a 100% pink painted layer over the skin in screen mode which flattened the photo a little and introduced the high pink tone and then adjusted the opacity of the screen layer to around 15% so as to keep the lightened and slightly flattened skin. Merged the layers to a new layer and then duplicated the layer and used the screen blending mode again to amplify the paleness whilst still keeping the image looking rather natural.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oscars0506-original copy.jpg (90.7 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 11:16 AM

I don't have an etched-in-stone workflow for an image like this, but I tend to just keep hammering away at it until it starts to take shape. In this one I used some diffuse glow moves (merging all to a new layer each time and putting that layer in luminosity mode to eliminate the tendency of Diffuse Glow to turn everything red). I also put a layer filled with white in soft-light mode. Then I painted black into an Overlay layer to get the detail areas back. A move into LAB to sharpen the lightness channel and a duplicated image into CMYK so I could rob the black channel, making it a layer mask in the LAB image for a stiff move to the "blacks." Added a touch of pink to the skin tones and brought back the original background with a soft mask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmoothSkin.jpg (86.1 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 AM

Here is an attempt.

I used the original layer - adjusted levels to brighten up the image to a high key look - used surface blur to smooth the skin - used a mask to control where the new softer skin would go and how much - whitened teeth by selecting and removing yellow cast - dodged eye socket area to make it lighter - put highlight in eye to add depth.

Ray12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonyeffect1.jpg (87.5 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration