RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Washed Out, In Front of Window Image

Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 PM

USM/Levels/Neat Image

OK.. I tried the USM approach with a Levels AL and a pass thru Neat Image with very soft settings. Using default NI settings caused the whole thing to look globby!

I wonder if there is another approach or if this is as good as it is going to get because there is really no data in the extreemely black and white regions of the image.

I tried to do Katrin Eismann's fill flash technique, but that did not work to improve the image.

Tough one!

I'm thinking I should maybe work with what I have here and make this look kind of saintly and work the hazy effects already present into the image. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac-Mum2_usm.jpg (85.1 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 PM

Nice job Nat! I came up with a lighter version but not as good as yours. To simplify the image, you might want to consider cloning out some of the background. I'm not sure it adds anything leaving it in.

Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Nice job Nat! I came up with a lighter version but not as good as yours. To simplify the image, you might want to consider cloning out some of the background. I'm not sure it adds anything leaving it in.

Cheers

Dave
Hi Duv! Hope all is groovy in your world

Thanks! Gosh this is a really hard one! I think I am going to clone out some of the background for sure.

I tried fiddling with a fresh copy using the Shadow/Highlight feature. I posted it in another thread:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...chmentid=26925
It does give back some detail, but there are these strange artifacts that are now popping up. Some serious pixelation or something. I am not sure what way to go now.

The settings I used for the Shadow/Highlight pass were:
SH Values are as follows:
SHADOWS
Amount: 60%
Tonal Width: 50%
Radius: 30%

HIGHLIGHT
Amount: 42%
Tonal Width: 90%
Radius: 100%

ADJUSTMENTS
Color Correction: +20
Midtone Contrast: 0
Black Clip: 0.01%
White Clip: 0.01%

I think with this image it's sort of the lesser of two evils. More detail means more artifacts, less detail means more fuzz/haze.

LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 PM

Ya, this is what I ended up with after playin with Highlight/Shadows, Neat Image and some LAB curves..You're right. It all seems to be about compromise. And thanks, I'm groovin along just fine!

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Isaac Mum2.jpg (76.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Good try Dave!

My eyes are bugging out with this one for real! I am thinking that I am gonna go for less artifact, more haze and try to make it work to my advantage.

Highlight/Shadow brings up too many artifacts for my liking and getting them gone with Neat Image makes the Mum look like half her head belongs to an alien.

It's just not gonna get sharp or 'pretty' regardless of what I do to it I think.

Glad yer groovin!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Tried something new (for me)

In PSPX, the first thing I actually did was run the generic "one step photo fix v9" which made the colors look good. Then I ran the NR tool--using carefully chosen sample points.

To get the highlights and shadows somewhat less extreme I put a negative greyscale image on an overlay layer and adjusted the opacity of the negative image to taste.

Then I made some gradients on a burning layer to remove the haze around her head. The new thing I tried was to use the mesh warp (I think this is called liquid in PS) to custom fit the gradient to the edge of her face. On a second burning layer I did a very slight amount of brushing to fix up the center of her head.

Finished up with the "automatic saturation enhancer".

The one step photo fix and automatic saturation enhancer tools just adjust saturation, contrast, sharpness, and color balance, etc.. using some preset algorithm that happens to work for most not-too-critical situations.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac Mum2_fix.jpg (28.0 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 AM

Bart,

Looks good. I think the loss of detail at the woman's right side, upper head is going to be an inevitability no matter what process is used. That is what I am finding.

I did a negative greyscale image inverted in overlay mode and that did pop up some detail, tho as you found, the opacity had to be lowered.

Very interesting approach using the gradient and mesh. I will have to play with that.

Excellent approaches and I thank you for having a go at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 AM

Well after a bunch of hours trying to work this image, I've posted my results below. This was the hardest thing I have attempted yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac_Mum_2.jpg (98.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 AM

Hi RNB,

Gonna be hard to get anything good from this, as the original is such low resolution.

But had a go anyway.

Ran Image through Neat Image (reduced auto settings which were too harsh).

Duped layer, desaturated it, then inverted, set blend mode to Soft light, and reduced layer opacity to about 40%.

New levels adj layer, and brought white output slider in to reduce top end burn out a little.

Merged layers, then applied USM to sharpen a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mum_curves_filtered copy.jpg (92.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (16.2 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 AM

As this seemed quite the challenge, I thought I'd have a go at it. I duplicated the layer and then applied it in screen blending mode. I then did a copy merged layer and adjusted using shadow highlights. As it seemed to pronounce artifacts, I went to the green channel and did a little smoothing with smudge. Adjusted the levels slightly also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac Mum2 copy.jpg (85.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration