RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Washed Out, In Front of Window Image

Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 AM

I did this in psp with the unlimited plugins.

I also reduced the picture to 72dpi and also as its a camera picture and the pixels are all stretched out i reduced the picture i ended up with from 8 inch wide to 4 inch wide.

Not bad for someone who does not retouch photos eh? I prefer to paint or sketch, but this was interesting thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IsaacMumLA2.jpg (40.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Legacy~Art; 11-23-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 AM

Do you have anymore pictures?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Thought I'd have a go at this one also -- I worked in LAB a bit with curves, and also in CMYK using calculations to add (hopefully) some density to a couple of the channels. Then switched back to RGB and used Selective Color to reduce the cyan cast in the white background and the magenta in the skin color. Ran Noiseware to reduce some of the noise (still practicing with settings here - not sure I chose well ), did some dodge/burn on an overlay layer. Did some other things also -- went back and forth with settings, trying to find a way to help.

I lightened and softened the background since it didn't add much sense of place, but thought it might surround the pair in a glowing effect that could be thought appropriate...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac&Mum-cj.jpg (97.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Great Work Everyone!

Gary: Yeah it is a real challenge with this being a low res, cell phone image. It's the only images the family has of the child tho, and I just had to go with what's there.... or not there, in this case! It's a good challenge tho.

Cassidy: I found that I got huge, ugly artifacts using Shadow/Highlight, as you found. But never thought to go to channels to smooth. That is an interesting method I will have to keep in mind next time.

Legacy~Art: Great go at it! I see you gave it a lot more light. I think it's great. I do have 2 more images besides this one. If you want them, I can email them to you. I believe your email address is on your site, so let me know if you want me to send them over.

CJ Swartz: It looks lovely CJ. Great idea going to LAB. I did that with another one from this series of images and that worked well, but stuck to Selective Color and Curves for this one. But I think either way works.

I'd love to find out how to work with channels to reduce noise and artifacts more. Does anyone know of any good tutorials that deal with this?

Really superb work everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:04 PM

Heres a quick version - using some light rays to take advantage of the white light situation. Maybe an artistic treatment could be found that would mask some of the technical difficulties we are having.

These cell phone images are quite the challenge.

First cell phone company to come out with a flash would have my vote!

Heard there is a cel phone out there at 5 mega pixels. Thats starting to go in the right direction. This image sems to be 640x480. Not much color depth.

Bart loved your method and result.

GREAT MUSIC - Nice Job on the songs. Is that you in the music and picture?

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 11-23-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12
Heres a quick version - using some light rays to take advantage of the white light situation. Maybe an artistic treatment could be found that would mask some of the technical difficulties we are having.

These cell phone images are quite the challenge.

First cell phone company to come out with a flash would have my vote!

Heard there is a cel phone out there at 5 mega pixels. Thats starting to go in the right direction. This image sems to be 640x480. Not much color depth.

GREAT MUSIC - Nice Job on the songs. Is that you in the music and picture?

Ray12
Ray,

Great idea to use the shafts of light in the image. Very pretty! Yes I agree these cell phone images are really difficult to work with for sure. A flash would be a VERY smart idea to add on if it isn't bulky etc. I think you could put a small one in no problem. I bet it will happen soon!

And yeah, that's me in the pic and singing/writing the songs.

Great job on the image!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:15 PM

How do you get the music to stream?

Im listening to song 6 already and they seem to keep on coming. I occasionally see a download screen in between.

You did a great job on the music - very professional and well written and produced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:23 PM

Pm

Ray,

Just PMed ya about the streaming audio etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration