RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

great shot eyes closed

Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM

great shot eyes closed

I took a few shots during Thanksgiving for my sister of her kids. One was really good, but one of the kids' had his eyes closed. I'm fairly new at retouching, but she would really like this photo with his eyes open. How can I find a good way to correct this. Oh and by the way, I am new to this forum by about 15 minutes.
Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec54
I took a few shots during Thanksgiving for my sister of her kids. One was really good, but one of the kids' had his eyes closed. I'm fairly new at retouching, but she would really like this photo with his eyes open. How can I find a good way to correct this. Oh and by the way, I am new to this forum by about 15 minutes.
Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Welcome, Joe...

Need some info...
* What program are you using and what version, e.g., Photoshop CS, Elements 2.0, Paintshop Pro 7, or ???
* You've got one good shot, with eyes closed. Do you have other not-so-good shots with eyes open -- hopefully with the subjects pretty much in the same place?

Hopefully we'll be able to get you going...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the site!
Do you have another photo that is similar enough of the kids that you can use the eyes from it to correct the one your sister wants? Always take more than one just in case you have to steal body parts.

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM

Here's some links that may help get you started

Joe, welcome to RetouchPro!

What usually works best to get some good input for a question is to upload your image -- Tips on Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts are located here:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/7933-attaching-files-images-threads-posts.html

If you tell us which photo editing program you're trying to learn, and how far you've gotten so far, it can help folks figure out how to explain it (Photoshop uses some different terms than PSP, Elements works a bit differently in some areas, etc.

A typical way of "opening eyes" is to add open eyes from another photo of the subject, or from a relative whose eyes look much the same -- this can include selecting the new eye and moving it over the old closed eye and then making it look like it was never done. There are a number of posts on this website where this has been done on other people's photos -- with eyes, ears, noses, etc. You can do a search for "replace eye" or similar term to see what else you can find, but I'll start you off with a few links here:

[oh, if you run into the thread where Craig (Kraellin) threatens to pull out his cattle prod, just relax -- he still hasn't used it ]

http://tinyurl.com/bzhvx (it was a long link title, so I "Tinyurled" it.)

http://tinyurl.com/dvspc

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...t=replace+eyes

From a very early post on this site --
By Doug Nelson (doug) on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 08:26 pm:

Note:

Copying and flipping an eye is an excellent way to replace a missing or damaged section, but there's one thing you have to watch for: the highlights or specular reflection. In this case it wouldn't matter, but in more closeup images if you simply flip the eye without fixing the highlight there will be a kind of wall-eyed effect. So, flip the eye, but further go in and flip the iris with the highlight.

Tutorial on enhancing eyes rather than replacing them -- but has some good info that may relate: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=61

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-13-2005 at 07:20 PM. Reason: adding links
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Photoshop Elements 3.0 and I think I can get a good picture of the subject with eyes open. The problem at the time was it involved a bunch of impatient kids that were not going to sit still for more than 1 or 2 shots.

I'll try to attach the images tomorrow.

This is really cool! You folks are really nice and responsive. You may have created a monster!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:
[oh, if you run into the thread where Craig (Kraellin) threatens to pull out his cattle prod, just relax -- he still hasn't used it
moi? sweet l'il ole moi? the only time i've ever really used that thing was on a cold winter day when my car wouldnt start and i had to jump start it

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration