RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Having Pictures Printed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Having Pictures Printed

I'm fairly new to this type of work but my skills are growing every day. Tonight I took my pictures to the local Wal-Mart to print them out, when I did they didn't look anything like they did here at home....

HELP HELP HELP..........

What am I not doing? Is it the pixels or the size or..... I just have no idea.

Please feel free to write me here or at: klassylady25@cox.net

Thank you,

Candice Roy
Old 12-19-2005, 12:14 AM

what exactly looks off?

Let us know what you are not happy with so we can steer you in the right direction....Do they look pixelated? Are they too dark/light? Is the color bad? Are parts of the photo cut off? All of these caused by different things...be specific and I will try to help.

Kate
Old 12-19-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassylady25
I'm fairly new to this type of work but my skills are growing every day. Tonight I took my pictures to the local Wal-Mart to print them out, when I did they didn't look anything like they did here at home....

HELP HELP HELP..........

What am I not doing? Is it the pixels or the size or..... I just have no idea.

Please feel free to write me here or at: klassylady25@cox.net

Thank you,

Candice Roy
Can you post examples, and PLEASE PLEASE stay away from walmart processing lab, they suck. If you want to print go to Sams Club, or www.mpix.com. They are cheap and ship within 24hr
When your doing pro work dont use what the "normal" ppl use. Even though everybody processing film and digitals at Sams they are very very good. Its also good to calibrate your monitor at least ever two weeks. B/c what u see on the monitor may not be what the printing machine is reading.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Picture Help

The pictures were taken with a digital Nikon 800 CoolPix. I did not alter the size nor the DPI while working on things: red eye, borders and text. The size was 1056X2048 with a dpi of 300. Having said that, my computer still uses floppy disks so I did have to reduce the size but didn't alter the DPI.

I have posted an example that will show you what one of the photos looked like and the rest have this same difusion or diluted look. When using the Kodak printer at WalMart it showed a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark within it. The only thing that the young man behind the counter could say is "Oh well".

BTW, I love this site. It has become a training zone for me. My last child is soon to graduate and I have been seeking a means of bringing in a little money or at least enjoying the quiet time. My career has been a stay-at-home MOM. Yeah, I know.... no glory but it has had it's rewards.

Thank for any help offered.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Dear NVStyle

I have book marked the link and will look at it now. I didn't go through the processing area, but instead used the Kodak printer. I won't do that again.

Thank you
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassylady25
The pictures were taken with a digital Nikon 800 CoolPix. I did not alter the size nor the DPI while working on things: red eye, borders and text. The size was 1056X2048 with a dpi of 300. Having said that, my computer still uses floppy disks so I did have to reduce the size but didn't alter the DPI.

I have posted an example that will show you what one of the photos looked like and the rest have this same difusion or diluted look. When using the Kodak printer at WalMart it showed a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark within it. The only thing that the young man behind the counter could say is "Oh well".

BTW, I love this site. It has become a training zone for me. My last child is soon to graduate and I have been seeking a means of bringing in a little money or at least enjoying the quiet time. My career has been a stay-at-home MOM. Yeah, I know.... no glory but it has had it's rewards.

Thank for any help offered.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, another big problem Kodak paper SUCKS to the 10th power. I used to think Kodak was the best paper in the world, but all my prints used to come out lookin like crap, especially when using Kodak paper on ppl of color. The best paper is Fuji print......and thats what Sam Club uses. Well I take that back some Walmart/Sams may still use kodak.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 AM

mpix.com uses kodak paper too, but for some reason they images come out looking good. I just order blk and wht from them. Not sure about the color prints, but they also color correct and retouch
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Dear NVStyle

I will look. There were several pictures that we were going to give our daughter and her husband for Christmas.

Again thank you.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:50 AM

Dear Palimino

Hi Kate,

I have attached two pictures, one good and one bad. As you can read, it may well be the printing option.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM

agreed--

I think it is the machine. While it helps to have a well calibrated monitor and make sure your colorspace in PS is correct when you edit, none of these things can fix a bad printer. Walmart and walgreens alike have "color correction" built in to their process...and I am not sure about walmart, But at walgreens you have no choice. I have recently sent an order out to Winkflash online and I will see how their results are....They do no color correcting and use good paper/processor...so if these come back dark I am going to know it is probably a problem on my end. I have also heard excellent things about mpix.com as was suggested above. This can be frustrating....especially when you have put time in on PS getting something the way you want it. Good luck, and hopefully your next batch will turn out a little nicer.

-Kate
Old 12-19-2005, 11:05 PM

candice,

i'm a little confused here. which printing isnt working right, your printer or walmart's?

Craig
Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 AM

I recently used the Walmart photo printing in a pinch. I had 150 4x6s from the late 50s that I scanned and cleaned up. I used the One Hour upload (Its the Fujifilm machine on fuji paper). I was amazed at the quality. I was not dissapointed at all. I did make sure to uncheck the "auto enhance" or whatever that little check box was.

To limit my relationship with the above mentioned "beast", I usually use mpix.

-B
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 AM

It's a little difficult to diagnose this problem without knowing the details of your setup, but a quick and dirty (read, GROSS oversimplification, with some mild inaccuracies) look at the situation gives several areas that you need to be looking at:

1) monitor calibration - if your monitor isn't showing accurate colors, and you aren't editing "by the numbers", then there's little you can do to control your final output.

2) color settings - what are you editing in? If you're using a consumer digicam, you've probably got photos in sRGB IEC61966-2.1--used by many consumer labs to print, as well as the standard for the internet.

3) know the printing equipment located wherever you're printing to--if they offer test prints, (as mpix.com does), get them, then scan them into your PC, and compare what you see on your monitor to what you're holding in your hand, to get an idea for how the two compare.

If your lab offers printer profiles, download and install them, and if you are editing in Photoshop, edit using Soft Proofing, for the printer and even paper, if possible, you plan to use to print them. An excellent source for information about the prints used by many places, as well as free, downloadable profiles, is http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html (This site also has some of the clearest, non-jargony explanations of a managed color workflow of any place I've seen. :-))

Color management is complex and confusing--and even the experts often seem to disagree on it's finer points, so don't be discouraged if it seems rather arcane at first--but if you're serious about printing your images, then it's a good idea to start reading up on the subject...walk away when you're overwhelmed, and come back to it, a month or so later, and read a bit more.

Of course, if you want to edit straight from a consumer digital camera, staying in the default sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space when editing, and then just send off a jpeg somewhere--then I can personally vouch for http://www.mpix.com . They're the consumer division of Millers, a lab long used by professional photographers, and their service is superb, and prices are excellent. (They don't promise it--but every order I've ever placed before 2pm--including 24x36 images, on canvas w/stretcher frames, has shipped the same day. I always use their "overnight service"--and you just can't beat having your photos 1-2 days after placing your order! :-)) When you check out, you have the option of having them color correct your images--or leave them as is.
I have also (several years ago) used http://www.ezprints.com/home/ , and found their prints to be quite good, as well.

Good luck with it! :-)

(In case you're interested, I'm attaching a link to an example I did for one of my PS students, showing the same image--as it looks on my monitor, vs how it would look printed on my photo printer, using different types of paper. The prints are simulated using Photoshop's Soft Proofing feature, and the ICC profiles for the printer and paper, so you can see the difference between even a calibrated monitor's output--and what a printer can make of that data. http://www.pbase.com/briarrose/image/52610240)