RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Resizing

Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM

Resizing

I have a very large TIFF file (3000 pixels width and 2000 height) that I want to burn an 8x10 for a Christmas present. The local drug store do it your self machine clips off about a half inch on both sides. I have tried all the image resizing techniques that I know: checking and unchecking resample, constrain proportions, bicubic sharper, etc. I know there are tutorials here that explain the procedure, but I can't seem to find them. Can one of you fine folks explain how to resize without compromising resolution? I would be most appreciative.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2005, 08:25 PM

2000x3000 isn't the same aspect ratio as 8x10. Seems like you have two options.

1) Crop the short sides of the image so it's 2000x2500 resolution. Then it'll print without unexpected cropping because you already chose what to crop.

2) Pad the long sides of the image with white bands so it's 2400x3000 pixels. Then you can cut off the white bands after it prints and you'll have a 6.67x10 print.

I'd probably go for option 1 since the subject comes out larger and it's easy to get 8x10 frames. Option 2 is good only if the photo is already perfect and would be ruined by any type of alteration.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Hi uwbpet

Bart has posted while I was writing this. The info is similar but I’ll post it anyway

Your picture is 3000 x 2000 ie the width is 1.5 times the height. So the only way to get a print without any cropping is to keep these proportions.
ie.
3 x 2
6 x 4
9 x 6
12 x 8
etc

As you can see you cannot get a 10 x 8 without adding or cropping something.
The nearest you could get is 10 x 6.66666 (10/3*2) Or you could get 12 x 8

Your local drug store cannot alter this without cropping or adding to the dimensions.

You have two options.
You can crop 2” of the height and reduce the 12 x 8 to 10 x 8
OR
You can ‘Pad Out’ the width from 6.666 to 8. Sometimes you can do this by stretching some none important parts of the picture. Or you can clone to extend the picture.

The easy way is to buy a smaller frame or use a mount / Overlay / Matt to pad out the difference between 6.6666 and 8.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Ken & Bart

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunetly the picture is of the 1943 graduating class of Annapolis and if I crop in any direction, people and heads disappear. It will print an 8x11 but mattes for that size are hard to find, especially on Christmas eve.

Question: If I selected the whole image, did a free transform shrink onto a separate layer, would that give me the approximate size I need? I'm grabbing at straws here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Ken & Bart

See if this makes sense.

I selected the whole image and did a free transform shrink of a half inch on the width and a quarter inch onthe top on of the whole image. I flattened the image and saved to a TIFF file. The result was as hoped with the half inch side and quarter inch blank strip showing but a reduced and non compromised image. Now, theoritically, when I print, the modified image should fall within the 8x10 perimeter. If that works, I should be able to free transform in whatever direction is necessary.

Does this make sense or am I flogging a dead horse?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 01:50 AM

Hi uwbpet,

You gave the dimensions of the image in pixels (3000x2000), so I'm not sure how much 1/2" or 1/4" is. It sounds like you might have distorted the image.

I'm assuming, due to expediency, that you still want 8x10. If so, here are Photoshop (version 4.0)-specific instructions on how to get the largest possible image on an 8"x10" paper:

1. Load your 3000x2000 image into photoshop--it should be the background layer. The first attachment is my sample "class" photo. Aspect ratio is 3:2.
2. Set the background color to something you'll want the padding to be--I'm assuming the padding will be visible since you'll be stuck with an 8x10 frame. I like black.
3. Go to menu "Image->Canvas Size"
4. Click the center box in the anchor control
5. Choose a new image height of 2400 pixels (leave the width unchanged at 3000)

You're done--this gives the second attachment with the black bars on top and bottom--it now has a 5:4 aspect ratio. For 8x11, the instruction above are the same except resize the canvas height to 2182 pixels. Perhaps there is a do-it-yourself frame shop in your area (like Beards).

If you wanted, you could get fancy and replace the padding bars with some sort of Navy insignia or other background appropriate for Annapolis. I attached a third attachment to show what that might look like. If you want to do that, you need to put the photo on a non-background layer prior to the canvas resize. Then put the padding background (clouds in my example) on the bottom layer.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original_team.jpg (74.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg padded_team.jpg (75.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg padded_clouds_team.jpg (80.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Hi Bart

I took your suggestion on the padding. The photo was black and white anyway so the black padding complimented the image. I centered it in the 8x10 matte, the frame was gold and black so the blending was excellent.
Thank you so much for your help. I can always depend on ReTouchPro folks to come to the rescue.

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas.

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Resizing in porportion

This site has an excellent solution, though it is from smaller to larger. See below:there's a strange quirk in PS that allows you to increase the size of an image by 110% at a pass with no pixilization - you can theoretically blow a thumbnail up to the size of a billboard with very minimal quality loss -

I even made an action for it that I linked to the <F12> key to do it as many times as I need - grab the action here: http://www.graficalicus.com/index.php?

for Elements users:
(if you're an Elements user, you can also use this action - I made an installer for it, as well as several other actions - that will put it in your Effects palette where you can use it at will - all the free "Action Packs for Elements" are in this category on my site:
http://www.graficalicus.com/downloa...es.php?cat_id=8

If you want just the "110% Blast!" Action, get it here:
http://www.graficalicus.com/downloa...hp?image_id=104

- the 110% Blast is also included in the "Handy Actions!" pack - these are all free downloads

Last edited by klassylady25; 01-14-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Clone and Stamp

If you are happy with a digital border/frame around the image, I might leave it at that. It may look a little better if the image is small enough to have at least some border on all sides and not just the top and bottom.

Another option I might try is to fill in the empty space with more background using the clone/stamp tool. This would create an undistorted 8" X 10" photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 04:26 PM

Uwbpet.

If you use the transform tool to make the picture fit a 10 x 8 then you will distort the image.

Here is another idea using Barts steps above.

In step 2 choose white/cream instead of black
In step 4. Click the top centre box in the anchor control

Now you will have an area at the bottom to add a title and names etc.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_original_team.jpg (91.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration