RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Miami vs Mars: Orange removal

Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 PM

This is a scan of a print. Yes, I am the "big" girl so I won't tell you how much older than 20 years it is but I will say closer to 30 (ahem...or more... ).

I have several that seem to be from around the same time so it must be attributed to the printing process used.

Kelly
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Patron

Kelly, as Ro points out, you each image is different and you need to try both of the other good channels to see which one works best. You can also use Photoshop's Image>Adjust>Channel Mixer to replace the Blue channel with a new channel made up of a blend of Reg and Green channels.
Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 AM

Hi,

Kelly,

Welcome to RP!

.... and just to stir the waters a bit more , I tried a different way ....

I usually try to salvage a bad channel and replace it only if I think it's beyond repair ... I usually prefer to work in RGB mode, but turn to LAB or CMYK whenever I don't get the result I like in RGB ....

That said, here, I managed to restore the RGB Blue channel in an acceptable way with a simple Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer ...

* Attachment 1 : the restored picture.
* Attachment 2 & 3 : the changed values in my Hue/Saturation A.L.
* Attachment 4 : the immediate result of my Hue/Saturation adjustment on the whole image.
* Attachment 5 : the B&A of my Hue/Saturation adjustment on the Blue Channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_g_and_in_miami.jpg (99.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0068.jpg (75.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0069.jpg (75.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0071.jpg (84.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0067.jpg (93.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 05:00 AM

Flora, just perfect! (as always )

This inverted Blue channel got me thinking, maybe this is one of those cases for which, like Flora mentioned, the best route may be through CMYK.

Converting the image to CMYK and using the channel mixer to create a new Yellow channel from 100% Magenta quickly gets all the colours going in the right direction. Saturation and AutoColour will finish the job, as posted. (still with all the noise)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miami-Screenshot.jpg (98.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg g_and_in_miami-byRo.jpg (99.2 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 06:03 AM

Thanks Rô!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Patron

Another Correction

I switched to CYMK mode. I Then did levels on all the channels except the yellow one which was black. I used a channel mixer adjustment layer with output the yellow channel. C=70;M=70;B=18. I went back to RGB and ran neat image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.jpg (94.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Patron

Smile

Ro, one thing great about Photoshop, is that there are usually multiple trails that lead to the same treasure. I got to the same place you did by duplicating the background layer, using the channel mixer on the top layer to replace the Blue with 50% Red and 50% Green and changing the Blend mode to Saturation. Like your image it restored normal skin tone and moved colors in the right direction. From there, did a bit of clean up.

Flora, I think by using HSL on the original, rather than restoring the B channel you have in effect mixed some of the other channels into it. In fact a more drastic move will actually swap it for the Green channel and turn the green channel into the exact same mess that the blue channel was. As usual, your results are outstanding.

Best Regards,
Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kadevries Rev MM_F Thumbnail.jpg (95.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 02:09 AM

Hi,

Murray,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
Flora, I think by using HSL on the original, rather than restoring the B channel you have in effect mixed some of the other channels into it. In fact a more drastic move will actually swap it for the Green channel and turn the green channel into the exact same mess that the blue channel was. As usual, your results are outstanding.
Thanks Murray!
Sure, by moving the 'Reds' Hue slider, I mixed some of the other channels ... but it wasn't a complete replacement and some of the details of the original Blue Channel were kept. ... so, as you pointed out, I didn't completely 'restore' the Blue Channel, but only partially so ....

But then, absolutely the same happens when using Channel Mixer or Apply Image ... be it in RGB, LAB or CMYK .... until reaching the extreme, which is complete replacement, where you lose any detail that might have been in the original damaged channel .... Being a details-aholic I always try to 'salvage' whatever might be there indipendently of how deeply 'hidden' it might be ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Patron

I like Flora's better.

Kelly's a close second. That said, this one (except the noise reduction) is the easiest method. Just Dup, use color picker to picker what should be white, and create a fill layer on top. Invert this color and set the layer property to screen. Merge down and Dup the new layer. Adjust Opacity of the top layer down to 15% and set to Hue. Set Center Layer to Saturation and Flatten. Autocontrast and Dup and run DCSpecial's 1969 filter to add a bit of color/saturation to the piece (less then 2 minutes thus far). The cleaning involved NeatImage and smudging as well as Flaming Pear's Pixel Trash for sharpening (8 more minutes; ).

As you can see, a lot more work still needs to be done, but it is as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g_and_in_miami.jpg (97.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 AM

Tried one too!
First I saved a copy as CMYK. In the cmyk image I selected both the magenta and the cyan channel and selected all, and copied.
Then I opened the RGB image and pasted the information in the blue channel.
Then I opened curves and set a white point and a black point, and the last thing I did was some cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g_and_in_miami_corrected2.jpg (98.0 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration