RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Brand new and haven't a clue

Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 AM

Brand new and haven't a clue

Hi Everybody,

I'm not only new to restoring and retouching, I'm sort of a novice at Photoshop too, so I don't know where to even begin with this one.

While preparing my home for some major demolition work (thank you Hurricane Wilma), I came across some really old family photos. They're so old that I don't even know who the people are (I suspect the young couple in back are my grandparents). As you can see, this photo was severely damaged and broken, and someone tried to fix it with tape. When I scanned the photo to send it to a cousin, I found I could see faces very faintly under the tape. The problem is that I don't even begin to have a clue as to how to "remove" the tape lines so that I might be able to practice restoring the entire photo and especially those faces that were obscured by the tape.

I know I'm asking alot, but I truly appreciate any assistance you can offer me as to how and where to begin to save this precious family photo.

Thank you,
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-family-for-repro-site.jpg (99.0 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 08:48 AM

Wowee & sheesh

This pic will test the experts on here..

i will ask the obvious question to save the experts time..
is the selotape still on the image (dont remove it unless one of the experts tells you to. im no expert)

it looks like the image wasnt put together properly so it look like theres a gap where the tear is.

this one is going to be fun
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 AM

Hi, and thanks for replying.

Yes, the tape is still on the original, and I wouldn't dare try to remove it for fear of losing what little is left of the original faces and clothing.

I have nowhere near the expertise to even attempt this yet, and at 63 years of age myself, I'm not sure there's even enough time left for me to learn. It would be nice to at least try though, or get some help from people who know what they're doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 AM

Is there any chance you can do a more detailed scan of the little girl in the middle with her face blanked by the tape. This will give us an idea of what detail is hidden under the tape. The rest of the image looks quite good, so that shouldn't be any problem at all
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Hi Chris,

I will do my best to isolate that area if it will help. Is there anything in particular I need to know or do (such as resolution, size, etc) that will help you?

We know practically nothing about our relatives, and my cousin and I are thrilled to have a photo. She will now show it to her dad (he's in his mid 90s) and hopefully he'll have some ideas as to who is who.

Anne
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 AM

If you can scan the area i've shown in the image below at about 200-300dpi resolution, that should give enough detail to work with and remember keep the file below 100kb limit for uploading
Just looking at the image you have given, the blue channel seems to hold the detail where the tape is. I've done a curves adjustment and deleted red and green channels from the one below and you can see more details already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 10:01 AM

ok heres my first attempt..

this only took about half hour as i have to go out but i should be able to do better with a bt more time.. Im also sure the others will do a much better job...

dne this with mainly contrast, cloning, copying and filtering

more soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thefamily1.jpg (97.0 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 10:16 AM

OMG.. You are all amazing, and I'm dumbfounded that you can even work as fast as you do.

ozonew4m, Thank you so much. What a beautiful job in such a short time. I don't know that I'll ever be that good, but I sure would like to try.

Chris, if you still want to give it a go, I'm attaching what I hope will be correct settings. You too amazed me at the detail you were able to pull out so fast.

I guess it's not so hard when you know what you're doing, and I hope that some day I will be able to help others, the way you are helping me and my family.

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Possibly-Aunt-Anna-cropped.jpg (89.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM

looking at that scan, the details in the blank parts are only really slight outlines of features. But some detail will have been lost in compressing the file for uploading. As it may be the only picture you have like this, you can use a reconstruction method to rebuild the face using other parts of the image (like ozonew4m has done). You can use the intact female faces to build a good likeness, and use the feature outlines in the taped areas as a guide. This is never 100% successful, but does give a likeness and a cleaner looking image .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 AM

chrishoggy is correct, that is exactly the way ive tried to get my results.. I really do have to go out now (oops im late ) oh well.. this is what ive done while i was waiting.. its by no means perfect but i hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thefamily3.jpg (96.1 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration