RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Restoring chemical damage on photo

Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 PM

This is an original of my niece, consequently, some chemical was spilled on the right-side of her face. I would like to know what's the best way to restore this photo.

Gerald Sr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821prec.jpg (70.7 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:07 PM

hi gerald,

for reconstructions like this you have basically two options. you can clone in from surrounding areas and guess at what her face really looks like, or you can use info from another photo and clone that in. there are variations of all that, but it's basically guess what it shld be or borrow data from another source. and that's about it.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 PM

my try (and first post here)

Well, I decided to try to see what I can do with this and here's what I came up with. It's not finished, but most of her face is reconstructed. The nose could still use some more work, and I didn't mess much with the rest of it.
Basically I cut pieces from the good side, flipped them horizontally, rotated them to match and did a little to blend them in.
She's such a beautiful kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niece_reconst.jpg (40.8 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Excellent WP!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM

Hi WhidbeyPix. Welcome to RetouchPro.

Hi Gerald.

I did the same as WhidbeyPix. And copied the right side to the left. That just left the nose to paint in. I am not too good at painting but this seemed to work OK.

I used a tiny amount of liquify on the mouth to avoid that symmetrical look.
Cloned/Healed and painted over the other spots
Added a layer set to Multiply before adjusting levels
Added a little blue and noise to the background.
Neat Image
Sharpened.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_img821prec.jpg (97.6 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 PM

Whidbeypix the job on the upper and lower lip were really great. Did you follow the same procedures on the lower lip also? Did you use the transform method or what? The upper and lower lips came out exactly as it should. Also, Cameraken, the color and subsequent clean up came out fantastic. Cameraken how did you clone the left and rightside of her face without making it look flat. I tried it and it came out flat, however, it did not have that contour. Gentlemen, you guys had done a hell of a job on this picture. Thanks very much.

Gerald McClaren

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 01-10-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: misspelled name
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 AM

Hi everybody,

Gerald,

... I couldn't resist working on your picture ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyPix
...She's such a beautiful kid...
I also used the : select, copy, paste, flip and warp/transform routine ... if you work with PS CS2 the 'Warp' Tool is an incredibly useful option in these cases ...

I used Selective Colors and Levels to adjust the colours, Brightness/Contrast for the contrast, Curves to add consistency on the hair at the top of her head and USM for sharpening.

Finally, I used Filter>Distort>Diffuse Glow to soften and brighten up the very light parts of the picture and make your niece's lovely face stand out more ...

WhidbeyPix

Welcome to RP!

Great job with her lips!

Ken,

Great job!! ... Just two small things ... the base and lighting make her nose look a bit askew ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_img821prec.jpg (99.9 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Chemical damage on photo

Flora, all I can say was wow! when I saw the job you had done on my niece picture, that was really professional stuff. The job that the others had done were great, but yours is really, really, amazing. The colors, the smoothness of the skin etc. Now, how did you made the skin so smooth? My reason, as a person with not too much experience in photoshop, I'm always having problem with using the clone stamp on the facial area. The area always comes out flat, and I can see marks from the clone tool on the area. I tend to lose contour of the face all the time. Is the clone stamp too hard or what?
Best restoration I've seen on a damage photo like this so far. I know I've got a lot to learn technique wise in restoring photos. You had really done a fantastic job on this photo, it was topnotch. Thanks for your time and effort.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 12:09 PM

This is the problem I'm talking about when I'm using the Clone Tool. The area of the face comes out very flat. There are marks or indentation from the Clone Tool. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821(3)(1).jpg (80.6 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 PM

I try to do as much as possible without clone tool

that's why I cut and flip pieces as much as possible and then use tools like smuge and delete (set on very low opacity) to blend the pieces in).
in this case, it helps a LOT if you cut out the lip, nose and cheek areas separatelly, flip them and paste them in one at a time, it allows you to rotate them into proper position. I tried doing it with the whole right side and the "puzzle" just doesn't fit together right because the different parts need to be rotated at different angles.
Also, when I use clone, I've developed a technique where I basically work my way into an area from all sides by cloning from a place very close (to the outside) of the area being filled.
For smoothing out the face, don't underestimate the power of the smudge tool used with a fairly large brush set to medium opacity.

Btw, I still use PS 6.0 (I'm broke so I gotta use what I have).

question for PS 6.0 users, is there a way to rotate only one layer? because I couldn't figure it out so I've been copying a layer into a separate file and then rotating it and pasting it back in.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration