Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

4 Generations

Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 AM
4 Generations

Your workflow for color correcting this rascal? TIA...skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-Generations.jpg (47.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by skipc; 01-17-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Skip

I am not quite sure what you are asking for here, but if it’s a general workflow then there is a great one here BALANCE

It take a little time to work through at first but when you get the hang of it you can pick and choose the bits you need. It gives a good idea of the order in which problems should be tackled.

This workflow got me to my attached picture. There is more that can be done to this but as I said. I don’t really understand your question.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_4-Generations.jpg (96.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Cameraken; 01-16-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Most of my experience in Photoshop has been with product photography, but my family has harnessed me in for our family photos, so I've been dealing with images like yours.

What I do is an Adjustment -> Shadows and Highlight to pull out any details in the photo, it's amazing how much is hidden in the shadows sometimes.

Next, I do levels adjustments on each channel. This is where I can start getting the color back into balance. If I'm not totally worried about the exact color match, then a little Hue adjustment can help correct the color more.

Sometimes, I might use the Sponge and desaturate some areas that are just too intense, like a couple of the faces in this photo.

I'm still learning of course, but maybe some of my fiddlings will help you start figuring out how you will fiddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4generations.jpg (87.9 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Cameraken
I don’t really understand your question.Ken.
Sometimes I don't either! In an attempt to not influence the responses, it appears my post was too obtuse, I apologize.

In an attempt to learn, I am interested in the variety of approaches forum members take, and this forum is the only resource I have to discuss restoration. There is only one person who does serious restoration in a 50 mile radius and she views me a threat. On this image I adjusted channels, used adjustment layers, and applied masking. Besides the obvious color problem, the image has exposure problems side to side, and bottom to top.

In '05 I had two edits I wasn't really pleased with. I posted one a few weeks ago and now this one. It printed OK, but I prefer to do better than OK. Sometimes an edit is much simpler than I try to make it! Thx...skip
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration