Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help for a newbie :) removing unknown stains....

Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 AM
well, i had to try this one out also. however, this is my first full attempt on an image using ONLY Elements 4. normally i use psp 10. since there are no channels to play with in Elements, i had to do this the long way... clone, hue/sat, sponge, dodge and some others.

being that this is the first time i've really used Elements to do a restoration, i must say, it's an interesting tool and fairly comparable to psp. i'm fairly sure this is why adobe did the whole elements route, to compete with the lower end, lower priced editors. i think they fell a little bit short in places, while in other places they did pretty good. the auto-levels was superb. the noise reduction, not as good. the clone in elements is a bit more clumsy than psp, but does as good a job once you get used to using it. i still like psp's better for ease of use, though. i'm also not quite sure why they name things like 'sponge', sponge and not 'desaturate'. that's really all it is.

the hue/saturation adjustment layer was interesting and a bit easier to use than psp but both do the job fairly well. i think Elements has a slight edge there, though. the whole color wheel thing in psp is a bit confusing till you study it a bit. Elements' is a straight line and easier to see and understand.

i'm not real happy with the woman's face but i had the same problem in psp, so not much difference there. i think i'd need the full photoshop to really do the job right.

i can now see where the Gimp is drawing some of its models from, PS.

all in all, an interesting program; a bit shy of what it shld be, but a worthy competitor.

superb job, flora!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nan-and-Pop1-el-1-k-1_edite.jpg (98.8 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Thank you for posting your method.
A very Interesting use of Output levels. You managed to achieve in one layer what took me several.
I also tried Russell Browns Digital Stain Remover on this. That method gave her a blue face. But a good method to try on other pictures.
Thanks again.

The marks on your picture look like chemical damage. You may be able to arrest it by washing the print in water for about half an hour.
If you don’t want to risk that then I suggest you store this picture in a dark place or it may go worse.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration