RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing shadows

Old 01-23-2006, 12:14 AM

As per the smaller image, but this time I tackled the dress shadows predominately using sampled colour from surrounding area and painting out shadows with luminosity. The Neckline was cloned and a copy of the right side of the dress flipped horizontally to complete the neckline with better clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon-and-Brant-(2) copy.jpg (93.0 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 01-23-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 02:44 AM

Very quick job this, could be refined a little to bring out some detail, but sorry I don't have time available at the moment.

Duplicated image, desaturated it, inverted, then set layer blend mode to soft light. Reduced layer opacity, then masked everything but the bride.

Finally applied Neat Image to reduce noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon-and-Brant-(2) copy_filtered.jpg (74.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (13.5 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 AM

Great job everybody!

PJM,

thank you for posting a larger size picture!!! That surely made a difference!!

I just worked on the bride's face and, partially on her decollete ....

One question .... was the groom or the groom's shoulders and head added to the photo? I'm asking because in my opinion, he looks much sharper than the bride .... the difference in colours and lighting makes me think that they were photographed separately and in different spots (no strong shadows but a nicely diffused light on his face and, while on his hand the light source seems to be coming from the same side as for the bride - my upper left side of the picture - on his face it appears to be coming from my right side of the picture... ) .... The bride's head veil on the groom side shows a hard edge and it ends a bit unnaturally on his shoulder ... (Attachment 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Sharon-and-Brant-(2).jpg (95.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0083.jpg (89.0 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 AM

Good catch on the neckline Flora, missed that entirely.

Agree with you about the groom, definitely looks like a cut'n'shunt job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Hi all
yes the groom was made up from a couple of photos. As I explained my daughters wedding photos were lost and I am making up a photo so she can have a least one near decent memory. Its very sad when precious memories like her are lost and cannot be replaced - that is why I appreciate what you have done to help me. There are one or 2 other photos I have obtained from others who were at the wedding and they have shadow problems too so getting tips on how to deal with shadows is really appreciated and hopefully I will be able to do someting with these other photos because of it. Thankyou so much - a novice who is trying to learn from books really thanks you
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 04:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your daughters wedding picture loss. Good luck with your project.

Anything else we can do to help, just ask. Can't guarantee we'll be able to resolve all problems, but there's usually someone here who'll have a handle on how to fix things.

Best wishes,

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Hi,

Thanks Gary ... The neckline is something we women probably pay more attention to ... Cass and myself were the only ones to worry about it ...

Pam,

I obviously didn't read your first post as I should have ... that's why I made the silly question about adding the groom to the photo ... sorry ...

Sorry your daughter's wedding pictures got lost ... she must be very sad about it...

I finished working on your picture ...

To remove the shadows I did the following:

* Duplicated the Background Layer.

* Created a Curves Adjustment Layer and tweaked it as in Attachment 2.

* Making sure I was working on the Curves Layer's Mask I inverted it (Ctrl+I) so it became black and carefully painted on it with a soft white Brush, changing its Opacity according to the needs ... I painted on the darker part of your daughter's lovely face and on the darker shadows on her dress. Attachment 3 Merged Down.

* Duplicated the Merged Layer, set its Blending to Screen and, keeping the Alt key pressed, I clicked on the 'Add Layer Mask' button at the bottom of my Layers' Palette... The mask created was Black= Hide All so, again, using a soft white brush, I carefully painted over the still darker shadows on the dress.

* I lowered the Screen Layer's Opacity to 75-80% .... The dress' shadows had faded considerably ... I didn't want to remove them completely because it would have looked unnatural ... I just used the Healing Brush along the shadows' edges to blend them better in.

* The corrected shadows on the dress had lost part of their saturation so I created a blank Layer set to Color on top, sampled color from the dress and painted over the 'corrected' shadows parts.

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Sharon-and-Brant-(F).jpg (99.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0101.jpg (87.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0102.jpg (40.7 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Thumbs down A really big thankyou

Hi again
I cannot give a big enough thankyou for the help with my daughter's wedding photo. Thanks to this help, she now has a precious photo of her wedding day again - with the promise of a couple more because of what you have taught me ( special thanks to Flora). I started learning Photoshop CS2 because of this disaster of photo loss and didnt imagine the result would be so wonderful. I intend to continue learning from the books I have accumulated plus from the tips I know I can now get from the wonderful people in RetouchPro. It has opened up a new world for me. Once again many thanks to you all
Cheers
Pam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Hi Pam
Welcome to RetouchPro

I have just realised that I forgot to post my effort. So here is mine.
I found some more detail in the dress. Hope you like it.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Sharon-and-Brant-(2).jpg (99.3 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 01:44 AM

Hi Cameraken
It certainly does has more detail in the dress - how did you manage that. Thankyou - it amazes me how you all do these things so quickly. I have been made to feel really welcome here by so many people - to think I hesitated about joining because I am such a novice
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration