RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Restoration (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/)
-   -   Removing shadows (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/12577-removing-shadows.html)

PJM 01-18-2006 08:36 PM

Removing shadows

Hi
I have been learning CS2 from books since August last year. Before this I had never done anything to any photo before. I am trying to put together a weddingportrait for my daughter whose photos have been lost from picures family took at the wedding. I have just about done as good as I can do, the only problem is that across her dress there is a dark shadow that spoils everything. I have tried all I can find to remove this shadow and am wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to remove shadows from a photo. I would appreciate any help I could get
Cheers
PJM

mistermonday 01-18-2006 09:12 PM

PJM, welcome to RP. Shadows can be easy or difficult to remove depending on the colors and lighting adjacent to them. It would be more helpful if you posted a copy of your photo. You can attached a version which is a max of 100KB to your posting here or you can post a msg with a link to your image on some external site. Regards, Murray

PJM 01-20-2006 06:06 PM

Shadow Removal

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mistermonday
I have attached a copy of my photo as suggested. I have done the best I can with my limited knowledge. The bride(my daughter) came off one photo the groom from another and although I have tried I cannot remove the shadows from the brides face and dress and its looks wrong having them there. I dont have any better photos of her to choose from - as I said her photos are gone and we cant get replacements.

mistermonday 01-20-2006 10:03 PM

PJ, the image you uploaded is very tiny (~1.5" sq) and low resolution. It is hard to see any detail let alone tweak. I would recommend that you post a higher resolution version somewhere and place the link to it back in this thread. If you need a host, you can upload it for free at http://www.pixentral.com Regards, Murray

Gary Richardson 01-21-2006 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As Murray says, the image is too small to do much with, but I've done a really quick job so you can see roughly what is possible.

Cassidy 01-21-2006 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the image is way too small, however I tried to incrementally enlarge it a little and using a black mask painted in the areas I wanted screened.

Flora 01-21-2006 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody,

PJM,

Welcome to RP! :pleased:

Agreed with everybody else about size and resolution of your posted picture ... You could follow the second link under my signature for detailed help on the topic ... :happy: .... and, along with any restorations you might have done, it would be a great help for us to attach the original scanning too ...

That said, as you have seen already, a lot can be done to restore your picture ... I worked on your daughter's face and shadows of the dress only ... (PS CS2)

lkroll 01-21-2006 04:59 AM

Here's mine.

1 Attachment(s)
Not going to tell you how unless you post a bigger piece for use to enhance. I will say that I did this in GIMP, but all the steps can be done in PS (assuming you have Flaming Pear's Tachyon filter). :)

Sorry that I missed masking the fellows hand and the flowers; flowers turned a little pink; hey, I like the pink flowers anyway. :lol:

PJM 01-22-2006 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thankyou so much all the people who replied to me. I have tried again to upload a better quality picture hopes it works. It amazes me what you have done already when my picture was not up to any quality. In New Zealand where I live I have been unable to get much help about htis problem - you guys are great

mistermonday 01-22-2006 07:42 PM

Reduce Shadows

1 Attachment(s)
Hi PJM, this image is definitely better. The shadows are very underexposed so I found that the normal use of the PS Highlight/Shadow tool adjustment diid not work very well. I selected the Luminosity (Ctrl+Alt+~) and selected the reverse and copied it to its own layer. I then changed the blend mode to Screen. This cause a hard edge along the left side of the veil and the gentlemans head. A small touch up with the Blur brush fixed that. There seem to be a magenta cast across parts of the image so a curve move took care of that. The Gentleman's hand has a magenta cast and was quite different from his face so a loose selection around it and a Hue / Sauration quickly fixed it. Hope this points you in the right direction.
Regards, Murray