RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing shadows

Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Removing shadows

Hi
I have been learning CS2 from books since August last year. Before this I had never done anything to any photo before. I am trying to put together a weddingportrait for my daughter whose photos have been lost from picures family took at the wedding. I have just about done as good as I can do, the only problem is that across her dress there is a dark shadow that spoils everything. I have tried all I can find to remove this shadow and am wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to remove shadows from a photo. I would appreciate any help I could get
Cheers
PJM
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Patron

PJM, welcome to RP. Shadows can be easy or difficult to remove depending on the colors and lighting adjacent to them. It would be more helpful if you posted a copy of your photo. You can attached a version which is a max of 100KB to your posting here or you can post a msg with a link to your image on some external site. Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 PM

Shadow Removal

Hi Mistermonday
I have attached a copy of my photo as suggested. I have done the best I can with my limited knowledge. The bride(my daughter) came off one photo the groom from another and although I have tried I cannot remove the shadows from the brides face and dress and its looks wrong having them there. I dont have any better photos of her to choose from - as I said her photos are gone and we cant get replacements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon & Brant.jpg (41.1 KB, 174 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Patron

PJ, the image you uploaded is very tiny (~1.5" sq) and low resolution. It is hard to see any detail let alone tweak. I would recommend that you post a higher resolution version somewhere and place the link to it back in this thread. If you need a host, you can upload it for free at http://www.pixentral.com Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 AM

As Murray says, the image is too small to do much with, but I've done a really quick job so you can see roughly what is possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon & Brant B&A.jpg (63.2 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 03:13 AM

Yes the image is way too small, however I tried to incrementally enlarge it a little and using a black mask painted in the areas I wanted screened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.jpg (51.2 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 04:21 AM

Hi everybody,

PJM,

Welcome to RP!

Agreed with everybody else about size and resolution of your posted picture ... You could follow the second link under my signature for detailed help on the topic ... .... and, along with any restorations you might have done, it would be a great help for us to attach the original scanning too ...

That said, as you have seen already, a lot can be done to restore your picture ... I worked on your daughter's face and shadows of the dress only ... (PS CS2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Sharon-&-Brant.jpg (47.5 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Patron

Here's mine.

Not going to tell you how unless you post a bigger piece for use to enhance. I will say that I did this in GIMP, but all the steps can be done in PS (assuming you have Flaming Pear's Tachyon filter).

Sorry that I missed masking the fellows hand and the flowers; flowers turned a little pink; hey, I like the pink flowers anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon & Brant.jpg (21.8 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 07:24 PM

Thankyou so much all the people who replied to me. I have tried again to upload a better quality picture hopes it works. It amazes me what you have done already when my picture was not up to any quality. In New Zealand where I live I have been unable to get much help about htis problem - you guys are great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon-and-Brant-(2).jpg (99.5 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Patron

Reduce Shadows

Hi PJM, this image is definitely better. The shadows are very underexposed so I found that the normal use of the PS Highlight/Shadow tool adjustment diid not work very well. I selected the Luminosity (Ctrl+Alt+~) and selected the reverse and copied it to its own layer. I then changed the blend mode to Screen. This cause a hard edge along the left side of the veil and the gentlemans head. A small touch up with the Blur brush fixed that. There seem to be a magenta cast across parts of the image so a curve move took care of that. The Gentleman's hand has a magenta cast and was quite different from his face so a loose selection around it and a Hue / Sauration quickly fixed it. Hope this points you in the right direction.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon-and-Brant PJM Rev MM Thumb.jpg (83.2 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration