RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Several Questions

Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 PM

Several Questions

Hi All:
Haven't posted for awhile. I have some questions for anyone willing to assist.
I just downloaded a couple suggested things from retouch forum. Polaroid Dust and Scratch. Is this a stand alone program like Neat image? Then also downoaded Decrack, which is an action, which I have no idea how to install nor use an action.

Finally, I do not have the image yet but is it possible to remove a person from a family picture and if so how is this done? It was a girlfriend and now she is no longer in the relationship and would like to remove her from the photo. Thanks for all the help. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Patron

Questions

Hi Neb,
On the Action: With your image open, click on the Actions Tab in the Palette. Then click on the little sideway triangle and when the context menu opens, select Load Actions. When the dialog opens, navigate to wherever you have stored the action file you wish to run to import it into the Actions tab. Scroll down to it, highlight it and then click on the run run button which you will find beside the stop button - looks just like your VCR/DVD symbols. Note that some actions assume certain preconditions - like your on the background layer or a text layer or that you have an active selection etc. Hopefully the description came with your action file. Otherwise just run it and see what happens.

On the person extraction: This can be done a number of ways, each different depending on the image. If they are on an end, you may be able to crop the image. If they have non removable surroundings, you will need to fill in the void with something else. This could be an overlay of another person or object. You may also be able to remove an section within the image and stitch the two pieces back together, etc , etc. The real challenge lie in removal without the viewers being able to tell that the person was removed. If you would like some specific advise, you really need to post an image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
Hi All:
Polaroid Dust and Scratch. Is this a stand alone program...<snip>

is it possible to remove a person from a family picture and if so how is this done?
1. Polaroid Dust and Scratch is a stand alone application.
2. Qualified yes. The approach is contingent on the image. Post it when you have it...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Thank you..

Murry and Skipc:
Thank you both for the response. I am looking for the image now. I will post it soon as I find it. I am going to practice on another picture. I hate to remove her from this one as she was in our family for almost 8 years, but you know how things go sometimes. She will always be a daughter-in-law to me. But thought Iwould duplicate this one and practice on it. I will always keep the original as is. But need to try this technique to learn. Thanks Again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 AM

Polaroid D&S is also a PS plug in. (Although the plug in does not have all the facilities of the stand alone, it is much handier to use).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 05:26 AM

Hi Neb,

Quote:
........I just downloaded a couple suggested things from retouch forum. Polaroid Dust and Scratch. Is this a stand alone program like Neat image?
Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal is a standalone and a Photoshop Plugin ... meaning you can use it on its own or (very handy) ... you can use it while working in PS by going to Filter>Polaroid....>Dust & Scratch Removal. (Attachment 1)

Quote:
Then also downoaded Decrack, which is an action, which I have no idea how to install nor use an action.
* If open, close Photoshop.

* After downloading the action which, probably came as: Decrack.zip, double click on the .zip file to open it.

* In the new window you will see a Decrack.atn ... extract Decrack.atn to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop XX\Presets\Photoshop Actions .... (assuming that's where your PS folder is ... )

* Open Photoshop, go to your 'Actions' Palette click on the small dark arrow on the right of the word 'Actions' and, in the list at the bottom of the cascading menu you should now see 'Decrack' (Attachment 2) ... Click on it and it will be added to your Actions Palette.

* To run the newly added Decrack Action, click on it to highlight it and click on the small arrow at the bottom of your Actions Palette. (Attachment 3)

Quote:
Finally, I do not have the image yet but is it possible to remove a person from a family picture and if so how is this done? It was a girlfriend and now she is no longer in the relationship and would like to remove her from the photo. Thanks for all the help. Neb
... Thumb rule ...
* whenever possible I loosely select the part to be removed ...

* feather my selection

* Right click on the selection and click on Transform Selection

* Move the selection area to a 'good' area very close to the object I wish to remove.

* Ctrl+J copy the 'good' part on its own Layer

* Move the copied Layer over the subject to be removed.

If this isn't possible ... well, then it's cloning, healing etc.

Keep in mind that each picture has a 'life' by itself, so, generalized methods get you only to a certain point and no further .... leaving out all the vital photo/problem-individual adjustments to get to a natural result... Even more so when you wish to add something/somebody to a photo ... where size, position, lighting, light source, colour, contrast, sharpness etc. are to be very carefully adjusted otherwise the result can be disastrous ...

You could have a look at this Thread .. to get an idea of what I mean ....

That's why we always insist on being able to work on 'the' problem picture ... If for whatever reason the whole picture cannot be posted, the cropped 'problem' part with a bit of sorrounding might be enough ....

Hope this helps ....

Take care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0098.jpg (66.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0099.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0100.jpg (70.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Flora; 01-25-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks Gary .
And the same to you Flora. I really do not know what I am doing with this action thing. I thought it would be a one click and maybe a few settings thing and Walla the action would be accomplished. I installed Decrack into my program files on C . Now I did not put it into Photoshop Presets though. However when I open Photoshop it seems like it is there but look at all the information associated with it..ss attached!! I am overwhelmed. Is this right?? Have I done something wrong?? How in the world would I use all the actions listed under Decrack. Help again please. If need be and if I have totally blown this action thing can I delete the action? Then I could do a new download and install as you suggested Flora? OH MY...
Neb..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Decrack.jpg (62.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 04:53 PM

What you need to do is highlight the top line of the action "Decrack" then click on the play icon on the bottom right hand side. ( the small arrow head pointing right) it may stop during the operation to allow you to adjust settings or as this one does to show credits right at the start (click OK to continue).
What you are seeing is an expanded list of steps for the Decrack action, they operate automatically when you press play, and continue to the bottom of the stack.

Hope this helps

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Hi Neb!

Quote:
...I installed Decrack into my program files on C . Now I did not put it into Photoshop Presets though. However when I open Photoshop it seems like it is there...
.... Well... doesn't matter where you put it as long as PS is loading it... and from what I see from your attachment it does!!!! :wink;

Quote:
... but look at all the information associated with it..ss attached!! I am overwhelmed. Is this right?? Have I done something wrong??
... No Neb ... everything is just as it is supposed to be ... you have done everything just right! The information associated with it are the different steps taken by the action to do what it says it will ... No need to worry about it ....

Quote:
... How in the world would I use all the actions listed under Decrack. Help again please. If need be and if I have totally blown this action thing can I delete the action? Then I could do a new download and install as you suggested Flora? OH MY...
... You don't need to do that, Neb, After opening the Decrack 'Folder' in your Actions Palette, simply highlight (it turns dark blue) the Decrack action, click on the little arrow just below it ... (look at attachment 4 in my previous post) ... and it will do everything by itself ... "Walla the action would be accomplished."

... A couple ow windows will open during the procedure to ask if you are happy with the settings ... just click OK and accept things as they are proposed ... when you'll be more familiar with it you might experiment changing the proposed settings to suit your needs...

Hope this helps ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM

This may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Action.jpg (89.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration