RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Please Help :(

Old 02-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Is this what you mean?

I started by drawing a curve along the top edge of the rear rim. After drawing the curve, you can carefully shift it around until it lies perfectly along the rim. Then I created a selection from this curve (set the line width to 3 pixels). I have Paintshop Pro, so I created a picture tube from this selection and then streaked that downward. Photoshop doesn't have picture tubes, so instead you could also have created a brush from this selection, and then use that as a push brush to push the rim downward thus creating the new back wall of the ring. Either one works--I like the picture tube only because I can put it on it's own layer. The first attachment shows how it looks after this.

After that, I basically did the following:
1. Duplicate the original and use the background eraser to extract the front of the ring.
2. Put the front of the ring on the top layer (thus covering the newly created rear wall.
3. Do some various touch up to the back wall to make it look not so perfect--warp brush, mesh warp, light smudging, etc... I used the mesh warp to give the inner wall a slight crowning. Used some smudging and erasing to blend the back wall to the top of the ring.
4. Grab a copy of the right top rim and mirror it and put it on top of the left gap.
5. Clone out the seams on the top rim.
6. For fun, added a number "stamped" on the inner wall. Did another quickie warp brush on the real wall around the number to make it look like it was stamped. I also did some slight random warping of the number itself. The number is multiply blended into the image.
7. Little bit of cloning near the rim edges on the far left and right to clean it up a bit.

I'll leave it to you to fix the exposure either by retouching or reshooting.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig1_back_wall.jpg (48.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg fig2_make_ring_solid.jpg (48.3 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 AM

hello bart, I want to retouch the surface of 'c' to look like 'o'..not the shape
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 12:54 AM

No problem. I had originally picture tubed all the way across, including the gap area, so this took 5 seconds--I just turned off two layers.

But the ideas are the same.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg make_ring_solid.jpg (50.0 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 AM

lol..thats not what i mean
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 AM

ok.. let me make myself clear again. I want to know how to do this ?? What are the STEPS, eg.. blur, gaussion blur, brus..etc to achieve this.

sighhhhhhhhh................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last.jpg (72.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Janice Ong; 02-03-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 AM

janice,

glad you like it

i cant possibly tell you every stroke, but i can give you a general idea. i first make a duplicate of the background layer and usually correct for contrast and lighting first. as i recall, i didnt have to do that this time. instead, i used a 7 band sharpening filter. this brought out some highlights and tones a little more.

push, smudge and clone all do fairly similar things. you're basically moving 'paint' from one part of the image to another. i use a variety of brushes with each, all set to opacities lower than 50% in most cases and do very small areas at a time. this helps to keep a consistency in the transitions of color and luminosity because you're always drawing 'paint' from a nearby area and only small bits of it at a time due to the lower opacity. this gives you very good control on what gets moved.

i try to figure out how things might look from what data is in the image already. there are almost always clues. sometimes the clues are misleading, and in the case of this ring, i wasnt sure of a couple of them, but that's the price of admission

in the case of this ring, i used a very small brush size and push to draw in the darker lines and smooth them a bit. this was done with the default brush. to help get good lines i can also make a single dab along the line, then hold down the shift key and dab again further down the length of the line. this will 'push' the 'paint' the distance between the dabs and make a nice computer straight line. i will also sometimes lower the density of the brush so that it's not a completely solid one color line. this is also good for going along outside edges and smoothing those up.

also, it shld be noted that all this is done on a new blank raster layer made above any other layers and setting the brushes used to 'use all layers'. this paints on the blank layer but shows through to the other layers as if i had painted directly on them. this has a very distinct advantage of not destroying any data on the base layers and you can easily erase new paint from the blank raster layer.

i also use a variety of brush types. there was one in particular i used on the 'burnished' looking gold near the bottom. this was an elongated 'raking' sort of brush, but that had a 'fade' quality to it. this somewhat 'raked' the paint along while blending it in nicely.

i also used the lighting/darken tool brush for darkening in a few places along the bottom.

i used very little clone on this image. i did clone some paint from the bottom right over to the bottom left just to match up the colors a bit for a start, but that was about it.

smudge was used VERY sparingly and at a very light opacity just to smooth a few things out here and there.

and, i used a soften tool brush along the outside edges to reduce the sharp edges i had created with the push tool.

i did nothing to the gem, though i did smooth up its setting a tiny bit.

i tend to spend more time on these things than some. this isnt a brag or something like that. it's just how i work and what i work with. i find the push tool to be a very useful and underused tool. it's great for tiny, tight work and was used a lot on your image. this adds time. there was hardly any automatic process used on this.

and like i said earlier, if i had used the other ring in the same picture as a guide, i would have had to put more of a polish and shine on things. that would have involved other processes.

also, after doing this ring, i happened to look at the other thread where you posted rings. are those the same rings as the ones here?

oh, and welcome to RP

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 01:26 AM

Hello craig,

They're different rings, just an eaxample how i want my ring to look like. The ones that are well done have been all photoshoped and I'm struggling to achieve it.

I still dont understand 'push '... but I'll give it a try.

As you can see the photoshoped pieces looks really good and polish. How do you make the polish effect? It looks crystal... to me though.

Thanks man !
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 PM

janice,

'push' may be exclusive to paint shop pro. i'm sure photoshop has an equivalent, but i dont think it's named 'push'. it's probably something in the smudge stuff in p-shop. basically, it's like a heavier duty smudge. smudge tends to push the paint just so far and then fades out. with push there is no fade. it will just keep going and going and going. so, it's great for doing long lines.

as for the highly polished look, you would want to remove the grain and brighten things up and probably use more 'pure' colors. polished looks also tend to have overly bright highlighting. but, i never know how to really do these things until i do them. so, maybe someone else can give you more details on this.

also, i seem to have missed the part where you said you wanted the ring solid. when you said that did you want it like bart did, filling in the body of the ring band like he did or something else? i didnt on my retouch. i only worked on touching up the surface.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 PM

Gold Ring

Janice. I shoot and retouch a fair amount of jewelry. Can you be specific about the kind of camera and lenses you used? What did you use for lighting. Did you use a light tent? Post this info, then me or someone here might be able to guide you along for some better shooting results. Thanks steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Thumbs down Ring

Janice. I am posting a rough retouch I did of your ring, just to demonstrate one way to go using gradients in Photoshop. I haven't finished it due to lack of time, but I will post the completed ver when I can. My advice is to collect fine jewelry catalogs and study the work. I love photographing jewelry but I am always experimenting to get the best results. Steveb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lastret.jpg (55.7 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration