Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

how to make fading background homogenous

Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Background cleanup

I work in a studio with a typical painted white floor and walls for high-key white portraits. The floor gets terribly dirty. To clean up the floor, I created an action that uses the Noise - Dust and Scratch and about 15 pixels, then back it off in History, and apply the Dust and Scratch in the History Brush. Grab the History Brush, select about a 300-400 brush size, then stop the recording for the action. Make sure you use a hot key when setting up the action. Then, hit your hot key, wait for your History Brush to come up, and start painting the effect where you want. It smooths away discolorations, dust, whatever falls under that 15 pixels. Beware that the more pixels you use, the longer it will take when rendering the effect.

When I have a set of proofs to cleanup, I use the automate batch and apply it to all open files, walk away and grab a cup of coffee, when I come back, I'm ready to rock.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
12, that sounds good. i cant follow what you do in specific, but nice.
i never understood the history brush, but i can imagine a bit what you mean.

my inital goal was to receive the same background as it is in the original picture, (not a complete white one) only without the smeared blurs in the middle, a bit darker as the beige. sorry for being not clear enough.

i tried a soft brush with stamp-tool, very big at 20% transparency. then i wiped/copied the blur away. i dont know if there is a faster method?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 02:16 AM
With an image with lots of contrast like this, use the Dodge tool.

On the toolbar at the top set Range to Highlights set exposure to about 25%.

Now just brush across the BG. Because it's set to highlights, your darker contrasting image will not be touched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blur.jpg (54.1 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 03:39 AM
Blotches ....

Unless I misunderstood your request, using the healing brush in PSCS2 should work however it's not a 'one stroke fix' ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blotches.jpg (67.9 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 11:52 AM
this shld work in ps or in psp. make a selection of the off-color area. adjust it with the modify options as needed to get only the off-white area. copy the selection to a new layer. use a heavy gausian blur to blur it. i used a value of 65 here. blend the blurred layer back onto the others with a soft light blend and that shld do it. this may not be exactly what you wanted, but you could vary a few of those things a bit, either the selection or the blur, to get closer to what you're after.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blur-1-k-1.jpg (82.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 02-23-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 01:35 PM
thanks very good help!

actually i need both of your methods, one with beige stripe, one totally white...

all right
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Make a selection of the background--in the easy example you posted, I just used the magic wand. If you want to be absolutely sure you aren't encroaching on the subject, you might contract the selection by a couple of pixels.

Then put this selection on a new layer all by itself (in paintshop pro, this is the "promote selection to new layer" command, in Photoshop I think the command is something like "create a new layer from copy"--it would be in the layer menu.) You still want to have the background selected. In paintshop pro this happens automatically, but as I recall in photoshop, it clears the selection, so you'll need to preserve the selection somehow or reuse the magic wand on the original layer--I'm sure there's an alt-ctrl-shift-tab-key combo that does this :-).

With the new layer active (this is the layer with only the background on it) do a gaussian blur (or any blur will do) of maybe 30 or more to smear out the blotches without killing the background gradient. You're done in 30 seconds.

This will work as long as you don't have severe blotches right next to the subject. If that is the case, then I'd use the object remover tool (PSPX again) to remove the object completely, replacing it with an extension of the background. The closest thing to that in Photoshop is the healing brush, but I'm not sure how well the healing brush works on a huge thing like an entire person.

I attached the layer palette and result for the "simple" procedure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (22.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (23.3 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration